Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Repaint concrete floor in carport

I have a covered carport with concrete floor.  It has old paint on the concrete floor that is wearing off. .  I want to repaint the concrete floor.  What is the best process and resources for this?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-04-12T19:55:06+0000  by brightway brightway

Hey brightway,

Welcome to the community and thanks for your question!

You have lots of options for the new coating you would like to put down...but the key is to take off as much as the old paint now.

Any new paint/concrete stain will need to bond directly to the bare concrete. Some porch and floors can go over existing paints, but you'll at least need to make sure the carport floor is clean and free of debris at the minimum.

Depending on how bad the existing paint is coming off, you can remove it using several methods. One that I like to use is using a semi-paste floor stripper in areas where the paint just won't come off. Simply apply it with a cheap chip paintbrush and remove with a chemical-resistant scraper.

citristrip

If the area would be too large for using stripper everywhere (except for the stubborn, difficult to remove areas) you can use a buffing machine with a grit face to take up most of the old paint.

These machines can be rented out at your nearest Home Depot Tool Rental Center, and they do a good job of removing a lot of the floor paint.

Floor Maintainer and Polisher from The Home Depot's Tool Rental Center

After you remove the old paint, you can now apply a paint rated for a carport. There are several we sell online and in our store, and they work effectively in giving you a new floor. If you choose a concrete stain instead of paint, then ALL of the old paint must be removed first.

If you choose to use a garage-floor rated paint, then you can get as much as the old paint off as you possibly can, as long the old paint is still firmly attached the slab.

But if you use the products above, then you can get pretty much all of the old paint off.

Let us know if you have any more questions regarding your carport floor, and we can answer them for you.

Cheers,

Joseph

Posted 2013-04-13T17:26:25+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+