Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Repainting acrylic deck

I have an acrylic paint on my deck, and want to remove it. I attempted to remove it with Behr Wood Stain and Finish
Stripper. I am finding this harder than I was expecting. Can you suggest an alternative remover?

Because of difficulty in removing the paint, I am thinking of painting over the  original deck with a new acrylic paint. Are there any concerns with painting  new acrylic paint
over existing acrylic paint.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-08-03T17:25:40+0000  by Malcstad Malcstad

Hi Malcstad,

No problem covering acrylic paint with more of the same, just be sure to have all loose paint removed and a clean dry surface. Try to remove an equal amount of the old paint from the entire surface so the new paint film will be uniform. Be sure to clean off any remaining paint remover thoroughly before repainting.

You might also consider a product such as Behr Deckover, which is an acrylic product specifically designed for decking, it has a thicker formula than regular acrylic paint, which will do a good job of covering any uneven paint finish that remains after the stripping.

Mike
Posted 2015-08-03T17:51:57+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
Hi Malcstad!

First, you are exactly right ... the surface must be completely removed for Behr Deck Over or Behr Solid Color Stain to adhere properly.

According to JoAnna at Behr Technical Support, "Painted decks must be completely stripped or sanded, down to bare wood, for optimal results."

On the label, Behr says, "Apply to properly prepared exterior weathered or cracked horizontal & vertical wood, concrete and composite surfaces."

Because Deck Over and Solid Color Stain are both classified as penetrating sealers, so the words "properly prepared" means prepared for products that must touch bare wood to adhere properly.

Your Tool Rental Associate has several sanding tools designed to completely remove paint or other coatings from the deck surface.

These tools make quick work of removal and do not involve chemical strippers ... so they're much safer.

Take time to explore this option locally.

NOTE:
When I've used our sanding tools to prep decks, I typically have the tool back at Tool Rental in less than four-hours.

Because you're adding the new coating over bare wood, you'll find the product adheres better and lasts longer.

Sanding your deck to completely remove the old paint is your key to success with Behr Deck Over.

FINALLY:
Should you still have knot holes or small cracks after sanding, use a brush to fill those area with Deck Over and allow it to dry before beginning your full coat.

Wood filler is neither needed nor required.
Posted 2015-08-04T14:24:14+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Acrylic coatings will adhere to one another. The concern is that if the the original coating is failing, the new coat will come off as the original coat continues to fail. To this extent, it is indeed "optimum" to totally remove the old finish before starting anew over bared wood.

I am curious if you had followed the instructions with the Behr deck stripper. This product does not cause the paint film to bubble and fester up, as with conventional strippers. Rather, it slowly eats away at the surface and may appear that nothing is happening until it is flushed away with a strong stream of water. It takes a minimum of 30 minutes to work, longer the thicker the film. It must not be allowed to dry. If drying occurs, more stripper should be applied. Scrubbing with a stiff scrub brush on a pole will aid in dissolving the old finish.

Given my "druthers", I would go the sanding route. You will want to start with course 36 or even 24 grit sandpaper until the old paint is gone, then change to 80 grit paper to smooth the surface. Be sure to drive in all nails or decking screws, as protruding fasteners  will immediately rip your sandpaper to shreds.
Posted 2015-08-05T04:43:28+0000  by ordjen
Outstanding detail Ordjen,

If you choose to try the stripping agent again, Malcstad, take an extra moment to read Ordjen's second paragraph on application.

His detail is precise and exactly the steps to have success with that product.

You "Nailed It" Ordjen!
Posted 2015-08-13T19:51:05+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+