Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Answered

Repainting painted wood furniture...help!

Good morning! We have an older dining room set that is painted (or stained with a topcoat??) a color I no longer like.  The paint is in excellent shape, except for a few blemishes on the top of the table, which I already plan onl sanding.  However, is it necessary to sand the rest of the pieces with no blemishes? I am planning on repainting it black? I am just trying to avoid the labor simply because there are 4 pieces and each one has a LOT of wood detail which would be a ton of sanding.  Could I use some kind of primer to help the new paint adhere? Also, I don't know if it is a latex or oil based paint.  I feel clueless and need some direction! Thanks in advance :)

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-09-21T13:25:09+0000  by 3doxiesmom 3doxiesmom
Always happy to help 3doxiesmon!

As you have learned, one major difference between oil-based and water-based paints is dry-time.

Oil-based paints give up their solvent very slowly, allowing the surface to self-level; eliminating brush strokes.

Water-based paints dry more rapidly, often leaving brush marks.

How To Eliminate Brush Marks

There actually is a secret to painting water-based paints without brush strokes ... Floetrol.

Floetrol eliminates the brush and roller marks by slowing the dry-time of water-based paints.

Simply add eight-ounces of Floetrol to a gallon of paint, blend thoroughly and make long, flowing strokes instead of the short, choppy strokes many people use when painting.

Wait six-hours before applying the second coat.

Your finish should appear very smooth, like a factory finish.

NOTE:

If you see an imperfection as the paint is drying, resist the urge to fix it. 

Instead, wait until dry (six-hours) and buff the imperfection with 220-grit sandpaper.

Then touch up the spot.

Posted 2015-02-12T19:21:45+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Hey 3doxiesmom,

Since our original conversation, Floetrol has been replaced at The Store by M-1 Paint Additive and Extender.

The two products are very similar.

Add approximately eight fluid ounces to one gallon of paint and stir.

The "Extender" increases the dry-time of water-based paints from four to six-hours ... allowing time for the paint to self-level.

This is the right product to create a factory finish using water-based paints.

Posted 2015-11-10T22:02:04+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
If you like Repainting Wood Furniture
you might also like:

Posted 2015-12-03T17:11:39+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+