Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Repair Pipe to Refrigerator

We had a refrigerator that stopped cooling.  My husband had a cousin who had a refrigerator which, like our old one had a ice maker.  When he disconnected the old frig he had to turn off the water to the pipe and attach the new frig to it.  Well the pipe has a link at what looks to me like a connection.  He has been fooling with this thing for over a week, and can't get it to stop linking.  He went to Home Depot and bought something he thought would work, but now we have to turn off our water unless we need to use it because water will run into our living room onto the carpet.

Is there a simple solution to this problem without calling in a plumber?.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-08-16T22:34:20+0000  by savannah2751 savannah2751

Hi Savannah, I’m Blake and I’m here to help! It sounds like you are able to turn off the shut off valve which leads to the fridge, and the leak stops. This is good because it means we can check the valve off our list of things that could be faulty. If the shut off valve is good then it only leaves us with the supply line.

That is great news because supply lines are very inexpensive and easy to replace. Simply purchase a new supply line, we suggest PEX or a braided reinforced line, then unthread the old line with an adjustable wrench, and thread on the new line. Does the same thing on the other side of the line where it connects to the fridge, then open the valve and check for leaks.

If for some reason this doesn’t work please let us know and we can see if there is an alternate solution to your problem.

Hope this helps!

-Blake

Posted 2011-08-17T21:14:36+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy

Hi we have a hotpoint refrigerator and lately for the pass three days it hasn't been getting cold like it use to, it has the long double doors one side is the freezer and the other is the fridge. Now the freezer is freezing thing just fine but the fridge is not getting cold like it use too, and i'm not sure what the problem is could you shed some light on the situation.

Posted 2011-09-25T05:36:59+0000  by clipperz-2-you

Hey Tim.

Please see PaintPro's response at another post you made here:

http://community.homedepot.com/t5/Maintain-Clean-Organize/Re-refrigerator-is-not-getting-cold/td-p/29485

I agree with PaintPro that performing a manual defrost (which is free) should be your first step.  If you then still need to contact a repairman, then replacement of either the venting regulator mechanism, (typically called a diffuser), or temperature sensor, (thermistor) will likely be needed.

I hope this helps,

Newf

Posted 2011-09-27T14:14:25+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+