Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Repair polished oak floors that were unsealed

Hello all,

I paid a contractor to sand and stain my oak floors.  I just learned that he sanded the floors, cleaned, filled cracks, then applied Roberts Universal Floor Polish without sealing first.  A total of four layers were applied, which resulted in a finish that was very light and not shiny.  Is there anything I can do to darken the floors a little so that fillers would match better without having to start over with sanding?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-01-23T22:38:48+0000  by AmyH AmyH

Hi AmyH,

Thanks for your questions; welcome to the community.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but from what you described....you will have to start over so that the wood filler is consistent with the stain. It's not so much the polyurethane, but the stain itself that should of been either darker or put on in more coats.

To get the floor looking seamless with one color, removing that top layer of polyurethane must be done first. The only thing that would happen if you didn't, would be just putting on more layers of the floor polish....but that wouldn't solve your color issue.

I would suggest renting a floor drum sander (shown below) that can be rented to take the polish off and to get to the stained finish. It's up to you to remove everything, but most pros would prefer to take everything off so you can start again fresh.

Drum Floor Sander

Again, removal of the existing floor polish first is the ONLY way to darken the color, since stain must soak and bond to a wood surface. Failure to do this will actually lead to the new stain not drying and leaving you with a much more larger problem of removal. 

So, remove the polish using the drum sander above in an 80 -120 grit sandpaper grade. Clean off the surface using a tack cloth or rag. Then, and only then, can you apply a darker stain or more coats of stain of your choice.

As long as you use a floor polish that is rated for hardwood floors, it also acts as a sealer for your hardwoods, in the sense that most light water and food stains won't penetrate it. 

Please let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2016-01-23T22:56:15+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Thank you, Joseph.

Looks like I'm on my way to Home Depot.
Posted 2016-01-23T22:59:39+0000  by AmyH

You are quite welcome AmyH,

Please let us know if you have more concerns or questions during the removal/application steps for getting your floor looking good again.

Regards,
Joseph

Posted 2016-01-23T23:19:06+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+