Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Replace entry door

I need to replace my back door, since it has started rotting.  The idea is to get a pre-hung door and just swap out the old one, but I want to make sure that I know how to properly do that before purchasing a door, and especially before I start tearing out the old one.  I would appreciate any help/advice on this subject.  Thanks.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-01-05T15:18:35+0000  by sib_65 sib_65

Hey Sib 65,

There are a lot of different things to take into consideration when replacing an exterior door. When I did my first door I followed these steps CLICK HERE.  It worked great but I ran into some problems specific to my house. My siding was already cut back too far and the wood underneath my door was rotted.  Take a look at the basic steps and if there is anything that jumps out at you that might be a problem with your install let me know. -Gregg

Posted 2011-01-05T15:56:02+0000  by gotogregg

guy, Im a finish carpenter/cabinetmaker....Home depot installs these so cheap that I would pay them to do mine at my house...its too cheap, I wouldn't drag the tools out of my trailer for what they charge...... I would have to charge someone 350.00 to hook up my trailer, drive 30 miles work two hours to install the door, plus the price of the door.  If theyre willing to give the labor away....take it.

Posted 2011-01-05T16:41:14+0000  by mahargbk

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+