Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Replace garage door spring

How do you replace the spring on a garage door. The spring looks smaller then the one on the door now. 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-07-09T10:47:04+0000  by bulldozierwindo bulldozierwindo

Any repairs concerning garage doors are very dangerous to attempt without experience.  Each component of the door depends on a delicate balance between parts and construction.  Serious Injury is always a possibility.  I recommend calling in an expert on this one – just to be safe.

For example: In the case of springs – both sides need the exact tension and gauge wire in order to work properly.  Usually the springs are color coded and should be replaced with the same exact type that was removed from the door.

garage_door_extension_spring.jpg

I hope this helped you get pointed in the right direction.

Posted 2011-07-10T13:54:12+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Garage door springs are under tremendous tension and are extremely dangerous, mishandling one could easily result in losing fingers or worse. I would highly recommend hiring a professional for garage door spring repair or replacement. As part of a http://cooksonaz.com">Phoenix garage door repair service I've unfortunately heard horror stories about these springs.

Posted 2012-10-30T21:06:18+0000  by PatKrewe

Sorry, the last post should read Phoenix garage door repair just in case you were interested.

Posted 2012-10-30T21:09:34+0000  by PatKrewe

The garage door spring is one area of the garage door that an amateur shouldn't touch. There is a pretty highly rated company if you are in AZ that specializes in garage spring Phoenix garage door repair.

Posted 2013-01-15T18:59:07+0000  by StevenM

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+