Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Replace just glass, or whole unit, of sliding glass doors?

Our recent weather seems to have pushed our glass sliding door over the edge.  The stationary door of the sliding set is a web of cracks.  No point of impact can be seen.  I think the pressure got to it.  It looks like just the glass can be replaced though I'm not sure what that would run.  Maybe it's better to replace the whole unit?  If one side has cracked I suppose the other side is more likely to go.  Replacing the whole unit with more wet weather coming (and our traveling for Christmas as well) puts a bit of a time crunch on things.  Unless we board it up until we return.  Suggestions on what we can/should do? 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-12-05T17:44:15+0000  by stedwards stedwards

Hello Stedwards,

Welcome to the community.

Well there isn’t a yes or no answer to your questions. There can be a lot of variables.

Yes you can get replacement glass for patio doors for anywhere from approximately $200 to upwards of $800 it all depends on the size, type of glass and if it’s single or double pane.

You can purchase a new 72”x80” vinyl patio door for about the same as the replacement glass would cost. It’s worth looking into replacing the door.

The Home Depot doesn’t offer a glass repair service so you will need to call your local glass company to get an accurate quote.

It sounds like the door may be on the older side so it may not be worth repairing it since the rollers and track may be worn out also. Yes you can get replacement parts for most doors. But the glass quality is far better than it used to be so it might cost a little more to have a new door installed but you will be saving energy that over time will work out in your favor.

With that said I think the boarding up for the holiday trip might be the answer for now. Then when you get back you can get a couple of quotes for the repair and to have a new door installed. At that point you will have done your homework and can make the right decision for your project.

Here is a buying guild for patio doors. It will help you deside which patio door is right for you if you choose to go with a new patio door.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help.

Posted 2012-12-06T00:22:28+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+