Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Replace the door and door trim without damaging the wall

I am learning on how to replace the door and the door trim. I watched a lot of the video tutorials. All of them just nailed them to the wall. I plan on replacing the door and the door trim from time to time. If I keep on putting nails on the wall especailly around the same position, eventually, the wall would be holes every where and messed up and the nails will be loose and come off.

I was actually surprised that no one ever brought this up. Isn't there a more modern solution to this? Shouldn't they design to be modulized that can be taken off and put on easily like how cars are made?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-11-08T02:01:19+0000  by cpthk cpthk

Hello cpthk, and welcome to the community!

I work in the Doors & Windows department at the Home Depot, and for the average homeowner, they don't usually change their doors & trim that often, maybe every 10 to 20 years, if that. When you purchase a older home it's normal to want to change things to give it a fresh & personal touch.

An alternative would be to use an adhesive like Liquid Nails to affix the trim or double stick tape, or you could consider installing a metal frame.  A metal jamb adds durability to a doorway, and the casing is connected with tab between the miters, and the edge of the casing is secured casing  over top of the jamb frame.

Either way, you will no longer have nails to worry about. 

Posted 2012-11-08T18:07:27+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+