Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Replace top mount sink with undermount

I just purchased a condo with beautiful granite counters and a hideous top mount kitchen sink.  Is it possible to install an undermount sink without replacing the granite?  I'm not opposed to hiring a granite pro, but am curious if this is even possible.  The less desirable alternative is to just install a less hideous top mount sink.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-02-22T00:21:11+0000  by betsy0219 betsy0219

Hello Betsy0219,

Welcome to the community.

Congratulations on your new condo.

It’s possible but risky to change the top mount sink to an under mount sink. You would have to uninstall the granite top in order to cut out the plywood to the correct size for the new sink. Some installers use an adhesive that makes it almost impossible to get the top off in one piece. It has been done but the risk of breaking the granite top is always there.

You might get luck and be able to cut the plywood from the underside but it will not be an easy task.

The other thing you will most likely run into is the edge of the granite at the sink cut out will not be polished. So with the under mount sink the unfinished edge will be exposed.

I hope this helps you with your tough decision of whether or not to change out your surface mount sink to an under mount sink or not.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help.

Posted 2013-02-22T22:50:38+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

We installed the new sink a few months ago, but now the sink is coming apart. And the pipes are leaking. What do you recommend to place it back together so it won't detach and the pipes won't leak.

Posted 2013-02-23T03:17:03+0000  by Felflo

Hello Felflo,

Welcome to the community.

Sorry to hear that you’re having issues with your sink.

I have a couple of questions to ask so that I fully understand the issue with your sink and pipes.

1. What kind of sink do you have? Is it a surface mount or an under mount?
  2. What kind of pipes are you using? Are they glued or do they have compression nuts?
  3. What do you mean when you say the sink is coming apart?

Let me know the answers to these questions and I will be sure to help you with getting your sink back to tip top shape.

If you are able to post a couple of pictures that would be even better. One from the top and one of the pipes would help me understand a lot better.

I will keep a look out for your follow up post and then help you fix your sink and leaky pipes.

Thanks again for joining the how to community.

Posted 2013-02-28T00:17:25+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+