Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

Replacing Bathtub & Shower Faucet & Fixtures

We're partially remodeling our bathroom- we've pulled out the old bath/shower tiling to start new tiling and want to also update our bathtub/shower faucet, spout, and shower head. From what I've researched, changing the faucet handle can be pretty tough. My family and I have done a few projects but plumbing isn't something we've tackled much so I'm hoping to get some guidance on our options! 

Everything seems to be "generic" without a type of brand, so I'm unable to just buy another Moen or Delta handle and pop it on- right? Surely, we should be able to change out the handle somehow? We took off our generic handle and took a picture of what the plumbing looks like and attached it below. We put up the new backer board but there's access to the plumbing from a closet on the other side of the wall.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-07-06T17:48:18+0000  by Chels Chels
The faucet handle that was on is a Bradley Co faucet which is used commercially and looks like this under the knob:

Posted 2018-07-07T21:54:13+0000  by Chels
Shower valves aren't generic, so you need to figure out who made the one you have to find the replacement trim components (and hope that they haven't changed over the years).  Danco makes replacement trim kits for some of the major brands - Moen, Delta, etc.  Those might be worth taking a look at.

Otherwise you're looking at replacing the valve.  Depending on how much work you've done on the bath side, it may be easier to open the wall on the back side.
Posted 2018-07-09T15:16:35+0000  by Adam444
Hi Chels,

If you are opening the walls now is the time to install a new valve assembly, don't waste your time with generic parts they require adapters and never work well. Sooner or later the valve will need replacement and the cost will be much higher as the wall will have to be opened ruining your new tile job.

Replacing the valve from the back side is more difficult, as it is attached to the stud from the front side and the wall can be easily damaged trying to remove it. In addition a plumber will change more to do the work from the back side as it is more complicated and time consuming.

Posted 2018-07-09T23:07:44+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question