Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Replacing Ceiling Fan (with 2 wall switches) to a Regular light fixture (need only single switch)

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and I have an electrical wiring question.

I am replacing a ceiling fan with two wall switches (one dimmer switch for the light, and one switch for the fan), with a regular light fixture.  I want the new light fixture to be on the dimmer switch.

I have replaced a few fixtures over the years, but never encountered this situation.  I have made some attempts at doing this and I have been unsucessful at getting the dimming feature to work with the new light fixture.  The light will go on and off with the wall switch, but the dimming feature is not envoked.

My plan was to cap off the second wall switch for the fan with a blank cover, and separate and wire-nut the two wires in that wall box.

I should mention....even though there are 2 existing wall switches (4 wires total), the light box in the ceiling contained only 3 wires (white, black and yellow) to the original ceiling fan so I am assuming that 2 wires from the 2 wall boxes were nutted together in the ceiling light box, but that's just a guess on my part, and I don't know how to figure out which 2 if that's the case.

New light fixture has only black and white wires (and a ground wire that mounts to the mounting bracket) as normal.

I'm not sure if I need to find the wire connection between the 2 wall boxes to separate the conjoined wire?  Or if I have only to cap one of the wires in the ceiling box that leads to the fan control switch?  I've tried the latter approach and that doesn't seem to work with any combination.

Any ideas at what could be disabling the dimming feature but the light still functions on/off?

By the way, I have already tested the dimmer switch with the old celing fan fixture and it worked fine.

Thanks for your help.

Guy

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-11-20T15:45:50+0000  by gbandit70 gbandit70

What kind of fixture are you installing?  Regular incandescent lamps or something else (fluourescent, LED)?  If the latter not all dimmers will work with CFL's or LEDs.

What color are the wires coming off the on/off switch and dimmer and heading to the ceiling box?

Posted 2013-11-20T17:04:27+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+