Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

Replacing Shower Knobs

This morning we replaced our shower knobs and we have two issues.

1. When we turn the knobs to let water through, they continue to turn and never stop, unless we turn them in the opposite direction to turn the water off.

2. No matter how tight the knobs are to turn the water off, the showerhead, keeps dripping slightly. We can't turn the water off completely!

I want to also mention that we did add a new stem for the cold water knob and the knobs we bought were "Danco, Universal Handles" 

Please help!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-05-25T20:48:56+0000  by Zoila Zoila

Hello Zoila,

Welcome to the community.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble with the replacement handles that you installed.

Without seeing a picture of the handles and stems I’ll let you know the most common issue that I’ve ran into with customers in the isle.

The most common mistake is that the incorrect adaptor was used so it’s not seating onto the stem correctly.

The universal handle set should have come with a few different adaptors. The first thing to do is to take each one and try it on the stem to find the best fitting one before you put it into the handle. It should fit nice and snug without any movement when you turn it back and forth. Once you find the correct adaptor then you can install it along with the handle.

This may not be the same handle but the adaptors will look the same.

Danco Universal Handles.jpg

If the incorrect one was installed and the handle was turned a little too hard then it may have stripped out. Remove the handle and adaptor to inspect it.

It the shower was not leaking prior to the new handles than it sounds like the handle is just stripped out and your unable to tighten the stem enough before the handle starts to spin.

A new handle will not have anything to do with the internal operation of the stem so it would not create a new leak. Therefore I believe that the adaptor must have gotten stripped somehow.

Let me know what you come up with after you take the handle back off to inspect the adaptor.

If you can take a couple of pictures and post them I would love to look into it more.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help.

Posted 2012-05-25T21:53:17+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+