Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Replacing Sliding door with wall

In my living there is an old hurricane sliding door with no insulation and leaks a lot.  I want to remove it and build up the wall adding window/s using brick and drywall.  I don't anything about doing this but I would like to work on this, how do I go about doing so and what do you recommend?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-11-24T16:59:25+0000  by alitia alitia

Hello Alitia, and welcome to the community!

I work in the Doors & Windows department here in the Chicago area for the Home Depot. Replacing a patio door with a wall can be easy if you understand the basics of carpentry. I would first check with your local village to find out if their are any building requirements that you must meet first before tackling this project. 

If you live in Florida, they have very specific and stringent Dade County building codes that you must adhere to for your safety, likewise in other states that are exposed to the possibility of a hurricane. The wall that you would erect must meet certain wind load guidelines, and the window must also be impact rated.

You also might consider getting a few estimates on the job, then the contractors will give you a detailed outline of what needs to be, then you can decide if the project seems possible for you to take on, or have a contractor do it for you. 

Tearing down an exterior wall for the first time can be a daunting task, it isn't like working on a bedroom door that you can start now and finish whenever you get a chance. Once you remove the old door you may need to replace some rotted wood that was damaged from the old door leaking, or any other unexpected issue. 

Posted 2012-12-05T14:51:11+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+