Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

Replacing Toilet

My downstairs bathroom is about 20 years old and lately the toilet has been leaking.  I've changed out the wax ring, thinking that could be the problem but it still leaks.  My handyman says that the leak is coming from the bowl and that I'll need to replace the entire toilet.  Is this true? Is there another option?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2010-10-25T16:38:57+0000  by Homesweethome Homesweethome

Hi Homesweethome,

It sounds like your handyman's correct on this one. I've encounter issues similar to this one in the store quite often.  Completely replacing the toilet would be the easiest and most efficient solution at this point. With the age of the bathroom (presuming the toilet is original as well) replacing part by part till you find the problem can be daunting and in some cases more expensive than just completely replacing the toilet. What I've seen happen in toilets of similar age is that the porcelain develops age/stress cracks that start to allow water to leak from the bowl onto the floor. The good news here is that you've caught the issue early, as toilets are notorious for hiding leaks. I would recommend you check with your local county before choosing which toilet to buy, since some counties offer rebates for the purchasing of "WaterSense" toilets. Hope this has been helpful and if you have any further questions we're happy to help.

Best Answer

Posted 2010-10-25T17:07:37+0000  by Chris_HD_ATL

Thanks! I guess I'll be toilet shopping tonight..:smileysurprised: But I did find that my county has the water rebate so I have a list of approved rebate toilets.  Thanks for the info!

Posted 2010-10-25T22:19:20+0000  by Homesweethome

Hello and welcome HomeSweetHome! I just wanted to add that if the toilet is on a tile floor it is a good idea to get a wax ring extension along with the normal size wax ring that comes in most of the 'complete solution' toilets that we carry. If you have carpet or linoleum flooring the standard ring will be fine. You generally want about 2" of wax extending above the flooring before seating the toilet, this ensures a long lasting seal. 

Happy flushing!

Posted 2010-10-26T18:06:15+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy

I didn't even think about that...and the floor is ceramic tile.  Thanks for the info!

Posted 2010-10-26T18:10:27+0000  by Homesweethome
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question