Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Replacing a ceiling fan with a light fixture

I need to replace a ceiling fan with a light fixture. the fan has a dimmer on it. the wires coming out of the outlet box are 2 white wires connected to each other, 2 black wires connected to each other, and a black and white wire connected to each other. there are also 3 copper wires connected to each other with a wire nut. i need help figuring out how to wire this. also i don't see a ground wire coming out of the outlet box, but i do have a wire to connect to the grounding screw from the light fixture.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-11-21T22:03:24+0000  by bdgy123 bdgy123

Hey bdgy123,

Thank you for joining us here on the community!

You are correct about having to ground whatever wire comes out of your fixture to either the ground screw on the cross bar that holds the light up or inside the metal box via a grounding screw.

While I don't know where the wires lead to and from that are in your junction box, typically the black (hot) wires are connected with each other, same goes for the white (neutral wires).

To find out which ones go to what, I'd suggest to use a multimeter or voltage tester and trace where the wires lead to back to your circuit panel. Of course, you'd be doing this safely, making sure the power is turned off.

Dual Range Non-Contact Voltage Tester

Make sure when you are tracing the wires, that you know where other devices are on that same circuit so as not to alter the power leading to them. Also, view the wires from the switch powering the ceiling fixture to see what sequence they are in.

Please update us on your progress, and I hope this has assisted you. Let me know if you have more questions.

Joseph

Posted 2013-11-23T21:20:47+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+