Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

Replacing a fireplace

Can I replace a vented fireplace with an unvented fireplace? My current fireplace insert is 32" and has a 4" vent line - can I block the line and insert a new 32" unvented fireplace? What type of contractor do I call to do this work?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-10-01T23:40:48+0000  by nlabbate nlabbate

Hey nlabbate,


Thanks for joining us here on the community!


I've usually seen most homeowners opt for closing their fireplace damper (the flap that leads to the vent/chimney) and install a vent-free gas log set instead. This is a lot easier than changing out the fire box and does essentially the same thing.


Make sure first you have the flue space and damper clean and in place working effectively. Once you do this, keep the damper closed at all times and purchase a vent-free gas log set to give you the most efficient heating.


Let me know if you have any further questions.


Posted 2013-10-02T14:35:06+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question