Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Replacing deadbolt with no visible screws.

We just moved into a new house and I'm trying to replace the deadbolt on the front door. But I can't figure out how to remove the lock. There are no visible screws, only 2 circular jokes on one side that are kind of flush with the rest of the lock. Anyone know what I'm talking about and how to remove this kind of deadbolt? 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-04-27T22:41:31+0000  by Mauii Mauii

Hello Mauii,

Locks are assembled from inside the dwelling.

This ensures that access to remove or disable the lock is limited to those who have access inside.

In this picture of a deadbolt thumb tab, the two screws (red arrow) must come completely out before the deadbolt housing will separate.

Once separated, the two halves of the lock housing slide apart, leaving the deadbolt cylinder in the hollow opening in the door.

Screws on the latch side of the door are removed to replace the deadbolt cylinder.

Hope this helps,

Pat InPaint

Posted 2016-04-28T13:38:05+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Hi Mauii,

I have seen lock sets that have built-in covers that close over the access holes on the inside of the lock that open to expose the screws only when the lock is in the unlocked position. That makes it tamper proof.

I have also experienced a lock set with a cover that pried off from the inside to expose the attachment screws. It was more of a trim piece, than a security matter.

Look closely at the "2 circular holes on the side" to see if there is a set screw. If not, the plate probably will pry off to expose the screws.

-Travis
Posted 2016-04-29T13:38:27+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL
Hello Mauii.  Welcome to the Community!

Whenever you see a lock with "2 yokes" and no visible screws, it has a trim piece that unscrews to remove it.  The lock originally came with a special "spanner" wrench that has 2 tabs which fit into those indented yokes, allowing you to easily apply a twisting effort to install or remove the trim.  Underneath that trim you will find a pair of screws just like the picture Pat gave that ties the inside and outside parts of the lock together.

Without that spanner wrench that came with the lock, it may be possible to use a small screwdriver and a small hammer to try and gently tap the trim loose in a counter clockwise rotation.  Once the tension has been released, you can easily remove it by hand. 

Chris.

Posted 2016-04-29T15:28:45+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
Its your new house and doing such stuff on your own can put the security of your house at risk if it is not done properly. You can hire a professional safe service provider that has a good experience in this field. With the help of safe service providers you ensure the security of your home. When you go online, you get to see a good list of reputed safe service providers that have the knowledge and expertise for all your commercial, residential and automotive security needs. You can view online the services that are provided by them. We can rely on such service providers for the sake of the security of our house.
Posted 2016-11-24T13:17:30+0000  by MargaretTreat

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+