Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Replacing existing deck

Hello! I live in a double-wide mobil home on my own land. I need to replace a poorly installed existing deck & want to put up a 10' x 16' deck in it's place. What scares me the most, is locating/measuring for the footings. It is my understanding that since it will be a free standing deck, I do not need to dig footings but can use precast footings. My home sits on a cement slab that extends 3' past the base of the home & I would be adding an additional 7 ' into my yard. I need as much help as I can get to accomplish this project. I live on a very limited income & would like to do this myself to save as much money as I can. I have 2 books on deck building but neither one includes a deck for a mobil home. PLEASE help!!!

Thank you very much!

Kneebow  :smileyhappy:

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-05-25T12:04:49+0000  by kneebow kneebow

Hi Kneebow,

It is wise to always use secure footings for any deck. This usually means securing the deck to the concrete and where this is not possible, placing footings in the ground.

You do not want the deck to move during an earthquake or storm and damage your home.

Your first stop should be your city’s building department. Check with them to determine what the city allows and their requirements on how it must be constructed.

Once you have the city's requirements in hand then you can visit the Pro Desk at your local Home Depot.

The Pro Desk associates can assist you in selecting the materials you need and estimating the cost.

From there you can determine if you have the budget and the skill set to tackle the project.

Good Luck!

Mike,

Posted 2012-06-04T18:03:31+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+