Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

Replacing outlet with blank plate

Hello, I have an electrical outlet that I want to retire and replace with a blank faceplate. My question is, once i turn off the breaker and remove the old outlet, what do I do with wires? should I place a separate wire screw on each of them before putting the faceplate on? Is it safe to turn the breaker back seeing as it also feeds the lights?

thanks for the help! 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-05-22T00:43:05+0000  by BobbySL BobbySL

Hey BobbySL,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

As long as all wires are being connected to their respective ones, such as hot leads (usually black to black wires), neutrals (usually white to white), and ground wires (usually bare copper or green), then you should have no problem once you turn power back onto the outlet box. 

Just work safe and connect properly, and there shouldn't be any issues after removing your outlet.

Let us know how it went, and if we can assist you further.

Joseph

Posted 2018-05-22T01:19:41+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Thanks for the feedback Jospeh! Just before i saw your note I went ahead and placed each wire into a separate wire nut to be on the safe side ( so i used four in total ). Turned the breaker back on , but the lights in the room wont work. Now! Were they connected to the outlet in series and need it to remain active?

There is a bathroom just outside this room and the lights came back on when the breaker was on , but the lights in the room wont turn on. 

Will combining the hots in one wire nut fix this ?
Posted 2018-05-22T02:02:18+0000  by BobbySL

Yes, you'll need to connect all wires together that belong together i.e. hot to hot wires, neutrals to neutrals, and ground to grounds. Failure to not connect will not give any power to whatever is on the circuit further down the line ( in your case the lights). 

Combine all hots (which should be black wires) together, all neutral wires (which should be white wires), and all ground wires together (which should be bare copper or green wires). 

Simple as that!

Posted 2018-05-22T02:30:59+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Hello BobbySL.

I think you are right, that old outlet was used as a pass through for the room lights.  This should have never been done, but often is both because it's easy and it works.  Having four wires on that outlet is the dead giveaway.

Since there is no way of knowing whether more than one circuit runs through that box just by looking at the wires, please only work with those wires that connected to that old outlet.  Splice the two black (hot) leads together with a wire nut.  Then splice together the two white (neutral) wires together with another wire nut.  Your room light will now work, and the blank plate will allow access for future work.

Chris.

Posted 2018-05-22T16:25:22+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+