Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets


Replacing towel hanger

What do I need to do to replace a towel hanger that fell out of the wall?





Let's assume that I have no idea what I'm talking about.  Thanks in advance!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-06-05T17:37:42+0000  by jugghayd jugghayd

Hello again.


I would think that the smaller one would be better. Like you said the wood will expand and contract especially in a wet location.


Also with the wood being that close to the shower it has more opportunity to get wet which in the long run will damage the wood.


So in a nut shell my opinion is that you should go with the smaller one. :smileyhappy:

Posted 2013-06-21T17:49:22+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Ok, I swapped out the 27" for the 18", and will install it soon.  I can just use a basic drill and a level, correct?  I've got one co-worker telling me I should break a hole and then reinforce it with some wood.  This guy is great at handywork and terrible at explaining how to do things -- everything is over my head.

Posted 2013-06-24T19:53:20+0000  by jugghayd


Ok so he is correct in the since that if you added the wood the fasteners wouldn't pull out.


But that would include some drywall patch and you have already told me that you prefer not to do that if you don't have to. I mentioned that process one of my earlier posts. There is a picture of the wood being placed behind a red wall.


I think if your only hanging towels on it than you would be fine with using toggle bolts or better yet trying to find a stud and screwing into that with at least one of the screws.


I think for a simple towel hook the wood behind the drywall is a little over kill but has been done.:smileyhappy:

Posted 2013-06-26T19:15:19+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

What's a toggle bolt?  Where is the stud?

Posted 2013-06-26T19:54:35+0000  by jugghayd


A toggle bolt is used to install something to drywall where a stud cannot be screwed into. They increase the amount of weight that can be hung.

                                       toggle bolt.jpg


                                        Stud discription.jpg


The stud can be found through the drywall by using a stud finder.

                                          stud finder.jpg

Posted 2013-06-26T20:33:36+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

So woulf I use the stud finder and just screw in one side into the stud?  And the other one just into the drywall?

Posted 2013-06-27T18:23:16+0000  by jugghayd

Ok!  We got the towel rack up!



For the right side screw, we used some anchors:



The left side screw went into a stud.  I stripped both of the screws that came with the rack trying to get it in:


Eventually just used another of the screws from the anchor set and now it's doing its job as a towel rack:




Thank you for all your help and patience!


Posted 2013-07-08T18:55:06+0000  by jugghayd

Your welcome.


I'm glad you ended up finding a stud for the one side. It should hold as many towels as you can pile on now. Good choice in anchors also. That's my favorite kind to use.


Suggestions for your next project that you need to screw into a stud... Before you try and screw the screw in predrill the hole with a slightly smaller drill bit that the shaft of the screw and the screw will be much easier to screw in.


Make sure that you don't use a drill bit that is to big. It will strip and pull out if it is.


Here is an easy cheat chart to go by. Just match up the screw size that you are going to use and it will tell you what size to use either with hard wood or soft wood.


     Screw Predrill bit Sizes Chart.jpg


Now that you have one successful project down, what's next?


I look forward to seeing what you take on for your next challenge.



Posted 2013-07-10T18:15:16+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Next project.... hmm, I need to fix a collapsible closet door, some gutters, fix a hole in the front door, the rubber lining on a glass shower door...  I'll post a new one soon.

Posted 2013-07-10T19:08:28+0000  by jugghayd

Looking forward to it.


"collapsible closet door" That sounds very interesting. What do you mean when you say collapsible?


Posted 2013-07-10T19:14:23+0000  by Christine_HD_OC
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question