Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Reseeding general lawn area covered in sawdust from tree stump removal

I recently had two 40ft tall trees removed from my front yard and their stumps were ground, as well.

As a result, two massive piles of grindings/shavings were left on our yard (contractor didn't provide grindings removal service). My wife and I spent an entire day removing/bagging the grindings (wound up with 40+ brown bags filled with shavings, many of which were thankfully taken off our hands by folks looking for free mulch/compost). However, after raking extensively, we still have a fair amount of sawdust/fine shavings left on the surround area where the trees were.

I know that the shavings will ultimately result in nitrogen depletion and the slow death of a portion of our yard. Are there alternatives to combat this without completely tilling the impacted area and starting over from scratch? I've read that introducing a 20-10-10 fertilizer will help balance the nitrogen depletion, but it appears that Home Depot (online, at least) does not sell fertilizer that meets this spec.

I also read that I can use coffee grounds and blood meal on the yard, if I Cannot remove all of the shavings/sawdust. FOllowing that, reseeding can occur.

I'm just looking for a bit if advice before I set out on the long journey of filling in the two holes left by the trees, and ensuring the impacted surrounding area does not die.

Thanks!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-07-24T22:30:35+0000  by ckwaller ckwaller

Howdy CKWaller,

There are a few things you can do that are quite easy.

First you can use a leaf blower to move a large portion of the wood shavings and remove them.

Next you can use some 15-15-15 fertilizer to replenish the essential nutrients such as:

Nitrogen serves a number of functions in the soil and lawn. Certain levels are needed for growth, including proteins, DNA, cell divisions, and for chlorophyll.

Phosphorus along with nitrogen and potassium is an essential element for the development and strengthening of plant roots.

Potassium helps the grass build thicker cell walls, which strengthens the plant so it can withstand external stresses such as drought, heat, cold and disease.

As for coffee grounds? this would be useful if you are planting acid-loving plants. The blood meal is made of dried animal blood and is another source of nitrogen. Although it is considered organic, it lacks the other nutrients needed for grass.

Finally, I would wait about 1-2 months to reseed and use topping soil to thicken up the lawn.

Happy planting,

Coach Dave

Posted 2016-07-25T22:17:28+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

That was some great advice from Dave.

Grass has a high appetite for nitrogen, so supplementing the area with nutrients will always be necessary in a lawn, but you don't want to over do it. Too much nitrogen can burn, and can lead to certain lawn diseases.

Soil pH is an important consideration when fertilizing. Grass will not be able to achieve the needed nutrients from the soil if it is too acidic. Perform a soil test to determine if the area is acidic and apply lime to the area to adjust the pH.

Use lime to raise the pH of the soil. Most grasses prefer a neutral pH of 6.5 to 7.5.

As the pH of the soil raises, the grass will benefit from additional nutrients that are present in the soil.

Grass prefers pH neutral soil, but trees and shrubs like acid soil better. Apply lime to your lawn, but not to your shrubs and trees.

-Travis 

Posted 2016-07-26T13:16:11+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+