Sign In to join the community | Help


Restore bricks on a fire place

I have an older home that someone painted some oil red paint on the bricks and I want to get it off and get the bricks back to the true color as well as the mantel that is over it what do I need to get and how do I get these red oil paint off the wood and bricks?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-12-24T06:41:42+0000  by dreadheadkid dreadheadkid
:smileyfrustrated:thanks for the tip will try that




Best Answer

Posted 2013-12-24T21:57:53+0000  by dreadheadkid



Unfortunately, you will never be able to totally clean those bricks, as the red pigment will have penetrated deep into the pores and crannies or the brick and mortar. You may be able to remove about 90 % of the surface pigment, but will always be left with obvious residue.


Basically, the options are stripping with chemical strippers or having the surface sandblasted. Chemicals are messy and blasting somewhat erodes the surface of the brick. Sandblasting inside would also be extremely dusty, especially messy if the house is occupied.


You can try a test section using chemical strippers to see if it brings about results with which you are satisfied. The time tested caustic removers are the most effective. Use one of those that the rinse is with water.


Frankly, you are probably more objecting to the red color than that it is painted. A more traditional white brick or softened off white might be far more to your liking. Again, try painting a small section to see if it works for you. You have nothing to lose. Either way it will either be stripped or painted again.


If I don't miss my quess, the existing red paint is probably farely glossy. A softer , lower sheen would also make the brick more attractive. If you go the painting route, give the brick a prime coat with a high adhesion primer such as Glidden's Gripper of Zinssers 1-2-3. These will give good adhesion of the finish coat and help blank out that red color. Follow the priming by a finsih coat of interior house paint in an eggshell or satin fnish.


Hope this has helped.

Posted 2013-12-24T21:41:48+0000  by ordjen
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question