Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Retaining wall drainage?

Im planning on leveling my backyard,small slope , and add a small retaining wall and some drainage pipes. Couple questions

I do 3 coarses then backfill with crushed stone. Do i use stone or flex base? Then lay the pipe and fabric.
Should i use sand or flex base then tamper it below the first coarse?
I plan on using wall blocks with the lip on them.do i need to add adhesive between each coarse or just last row?

I plan to back fill on top of the pipe qnd fabric with crushed stone. Then add soil.its goi g to be less than 2 foot tall.

Is this good way to build it to last many years?
Thanks for the help
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-03-20T03:12:59+0000  by Jathanw Jathanw

Hi Jathanw,

Welcome to The Community!!

Apply Leveling Sand and tamp it smooth under the first coarse of wall stone. This helps to level that first and most critical step of the installation.

Use an angular stone such as Vigoro All-Purpose Stone to backfill. Smooth stones like River Rock will not lock into place as well. Tamp it until it is firm.

Adhesive will not be necessary when using this type of wall block. If you add caps to the wall, Landscape Wall adhesive can be applied to secure the caps.

I see no issues with your design. You'll enjoy your wall for many years!

Thank you for asking,

-Travis

Posted 2017-03-21T14:00:06+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL
Ok thank you travis.that answered one of the major questions. Sand or flex base for the base below the stones.
 I appreciate you answering it for me.
Posted 2017-03-22T02:55:13+0000  by Jathanw

Leveling Sand should be used under the Wall Stone. Sand yields a smooth, compact base for wall and patio stones.

Flex Base is not necessary unless there is going to be a substantial load on the stone, such as driveways and taller walls. Load will not need to be considered with a two foot high wall.

Do not use sand under the back fill stone. Angular stone, like gravel is best for that application.

-Travis

Posted 2017-03-31T14:55:55+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+