Sign In to join the community | Help
Decor

Reupholster my couch

I would like to reupholster my living room couch and need some assistance to do a good job.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-02T20:15:46+0000  by YaMI YaMI

Hi there YaMI,

Thanks for joining our community!~

My apologies about the delay in answering your question. But let's see if we can get this solved for you!~

This project would all depend on your level of comfort with a sewing machine. You'll also need to think about what parts are salvageable and which ones need to be replaced. If you can get away with keeping certain areas uncovered like the bottoms of the cushions, then by all means do so. 

Giving an entire tutorial on upholstery sewing would be relatively difficult given this format and unfortunately we don't have much in the line of guides or videos set up for this type of project.

I can tell you that you do need to invest in upholstery fabric due to it's more dense fabric and more tensile strength. In that same vein, you'll also need to use upholstery thread as well. These are often 100% nylon or polyester for extra strength due to the heavy traffic they'd be getting.

Also leave anywhere between 1/2" to 1" for seam allowance and 3" for seams that will be stapled down. For your final seams make sure to create welted edges for the highest strength in your finished product.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Be sure to Subscribe to your posts!~ Look for the [Options] drop down at the top right of your post and select [Subscribe] from the list to stay alert to new activity or replies to your questions. = )

Also, if this answer was helpful to you or solved your problem, please hit the Accept As Solution button to let us know!~
Posted 2013-05-09T21:23:43+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+