Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

Running Nest camera cable through stucco wall

I will be running my Nest external camera cable through my Garage wall to plug inside my garage. The plug on the end of the cable is 1/2" with the cable itself much smaller. Drilling through the stucco into the garage is a simple thing but my question is really 2 fold.

1. Because the plug on the end is much bigger than the cable which will be sitting in the wall should I place a conduit in the wall to run the cable through?
2. If I just run the cable by itself are there split-able grommets that will not only fit snugly in the wall but also seal around the cable to not only seal but to keep it from it from moving?

BTW I live in southern california so there is no insulation in the garage wall.

Thanks
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-08-31T20:58:24+0000  by BTK BTK

Hey BTK,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

I'll answer your questions in the manner in which you asked them.

1. You can place conduit in the wall or surface mounted if you wish. In fact, it does increase its safety to do so.

2. Depending on how similar the diameter hole is to the cable will determine what items to use. 

At minimum, you can place a bead of silicone caulking around the hole to give it a watertight seal. Keeping the cable from moving starts with how you secure it on either wall. You can choose from wire staples, conduit, or fittings to ensure no damage occurs.

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2017-10-16T18:48:21+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Hey BTK,

1. You can place conduit in the wall or surface mounted if you wish. In fact, it does increase its safety to do so.

2. Depending on how similar the diameter hole is to the cable will determine what items to use. 

At minimum, you can place a bead of silicone caulking around the hole to give it a watertight seal. Keeping the cable from moving starts with how you secure it on either wall. You can choose from wire staples, conduit, or fittings to ensure no damage occurs.

Joseph

Posted 2017-10-16T18:48:21+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Hey BTK,

Joseph

Posted 2017-10-16T18:48:22+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+