Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transforma​tions

HELP !!!  I was using the kit in the Rutric finishing and it was working out fine until I applied the protective  coat. Now it has dried and I have bubbles on some of the doors. Is ther any way to fix this ?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-03-08T00:24:40+0000  by tioukie tioukie

Hey there tioukie,

Thanks for joining us on the community!~

Have you had a chance to look at our ever-growing topic: Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformations. We have a large discussion going on about all things transformations in that topic and we've actually helped other users with this exact same situation as well. Give it a look over and I'm sure you'll find it quite helpful.

Your issue with bubbles appearing on the top coat can be attributed to a number of different things such as:

• brushing too quickly causing bubbles to build up
  • brushed too vigorously or with back and forth strokes. Top coats require smooth, flowing strokes
  • too much urethane applied onto brush
  • brush was wet before applying top coat
  • top coat was shaken, not stirred (pardon the unintentional pun)

While finding the cause of the bubbling can sometimes be difficult, fixing the issue isn't. What you'll want to do is give the current coating at least 72-hours to dry and set, and then you'll need to lightly sand it. You're not going to actually sand anything off, but more so "buff" the surface.

You'll need a 220-grit sandpaper for this job and it needs to be done by hand. Any power tools that would normally do this for you will simply provide a bit too much power. You'll be breaking the top coat to promote your next coats adhesion. Make sure that any dust created by your sanding is removed and smoothed out before applying your next coating. 

As I mentioned, browse about the other topic to see other helpful tips on this product and be sure to let us know how your new top coat turns out by replying back on here!~

Posted 2013-03-08T15:10:15+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

I spend several days doing the deglossing step and am ready for the bond coat....my cabinets are white and I choose the Cabernet color so I thought it would cover up good...I just put my first coat on and you see all the white still through the streak of Cabernet color...it didn't hardly keep any of the color on it.....I read most people said two coats but it looks like I would have to do lots more than that for it to cover...what am I doing wrong? Did deglossing not work?

Posted 2013-03-13T23:12:45+0000  by sbsimmons

Welcome to our community Sbsimmons!

My name is Christine and I work in the paint department at Home Depot.

It sounds like you have done all of the prep correctly. It is really important when applying the base coat that it is applied thoroughly and evenly. Also, a high quality brush will make a big difference when applying the bond coat. 

Since this product requires 2 coats, the color hasn't reached its full potential with just one coat. I would recommend applying the second coat and if you still have white coming through, let us know.

Don't be defeated by your project and have fun with it! :) DIY projects can be discouraging sometimes, but in the end, you will have a product that you have done yourself and is beautiful.

Please keep in touch and let us know how everything turns out.

Christine :)

Posted 2013-03-18T15:36:22+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+