Sign In to join the community | Help

Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformations

Do you have old cabinet that are in serious need of a face lift?  The Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformations kit is perfect for updating your cabinets without getting all new cabinets.  With this kit there is no stripping, sanding or priming. It can be applied to wood, laminate and melamine surfaces. It also can be tinted a wide variety of colors. So no matter what color palette you have, there is sure to be a color that will fit right in! Does this sound like a project for you? Keep reading to see how to apply it! 

Step 1: Apply Deglosser 

Scrub each door, drawer front and cabinet from with the Deglosser and Scrub Pad (both included) to thoroughly clean and degloss the surface. 

Step 2: Apply Bond Coat 

Brush on the Bond Coat in even strokes. Finish each door, drawer front and cabinet frame with two coats. Allow to dry 2-3 hours  before moving on to the next step. 

Step 3: Apply Decorative Glaze (Optional)

Create the customer look you want. Brush on the Decorative Glaze and wipe it off with a Decorative Glazing Cloth. Allow to dry 8 hours  before moving on to the next step. 

Step 4: Apply Protective Top Coat 

Brush on the Protective Top Coat for a long-lasting, durable finish. 

They will be full use ready 24 hours after Protective Top Coat in applied. Wait 7-10 days before cleaning with household chemicals.   

This kit covers 100 square feet which is approximately 40 linear feet of cabinets.

Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformations is available online and in our stores! 

If you have any questions about how to use this product, please let us know! 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-01-05T14:07:02+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL Christine_HD_ATL

Hey Christine, Gregg & Jeff, Outstanding Demo!

My customers Sarah Ann and Nathan came to the desk last night asking about the Transformations kit and I hooked them up with your video.

The result: Nathan came back with, "We're All In!!!"

Here they are after we took time to test their color on a paint stick. They chose Tudor and tried two coats of the base and one coat of glaze.

With a smile on their face, they are off to make the "transformation" in their kitchen.

Expect to see their results photo here in the near future.

Thanks on their behalf for making this process easy to understand!

Posted 2011-01-25T15:23:08+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

I am trying to buy a Dark Color kit "Expresso" and can't find it on the Home Depot on-line store.  Is it only sold in the stores and if so do you stock the color i am looking for?

Posted 2011-02-05T19:31:58+0000  by archsss

We just picked up our kit at Home Depot.  The way it worked was there are only two kits: light and dark.  You chose your color and they mix it up for you.  So unless they stock every color online you will need to purchase it in the store and have it mixed up there.  Hope that helps.

Posted 2011-02-05T21:11:05+0000  by mollykins

I purchased "Chocolate" colored cabinet transformations and am experimenting on a scrap cabinet door.  The base coat after it dries is very rough ( like a very fine emory board used to file your nails). I then did the final coat and it is not as rough but it is still textured. I can understand that it needs to be very very flat for the glaze and finish coat to hold. but at the local home depot they have a light color base on a cabinet for demonstration purposes and it is not that rough. I hate to do all the work and find out that  I have a base paint that is out of standards.

My wife and I like the look and it seems almost foolproof to get a consistent look thoroughout the kitchen. We have tried several other products and techniques but consistency of the look is an issue.

Posted 2011-02-19T14:45:19+0000  by 762222

Welcome to our community Jim,

This is Christine from the video. Thank you for checking out our video :smileyhappy:

Are the cabinet’s smooth or rough? If they are rough, you will want to sand it smooth. While the deglosser will make it somewhat smoother, it will only do so much. If the surface is pretty rough, I would recommend hand sanding the surface with a 220 grit sand paper. Make sure to sand in the direction of the wood grain. Once it is smooth go ahead and proceed as per the instructions.

If it is smooth, you might want to change what kind of paint brush you are using. You should be using a synthetic brush for application. Make sure to go in the direction of the wood grain.

Also make sure that everything is dry to the touch before moving on to the next step. If you don’t wait that may also result in a bumpy surface.

I hope that helped you out. If you have any more questions, don’t hesitate to ask!

Posted 2011-02-19T19:02:58+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

The wood is smooth before I started,  I had lightly sanded it. It is the base  that make it rough ( like very fine sand paper). Yesterday I went to a different store and had them open a can of dark base ( it is very light in color) and put some of it on the experimental door to see how it dried. I dried like very fine sand paper.  You should take some from the light base and some from the dark base and put it in a piece of smooth wood and you will see the difference.

As a possible solution can I take the light base and just darken it to the "chocolate" I want?  There is a difference in the dried results. I called quality control and they are pulling a test sample from my lot of paint.

As I had said I like the color consistency of the product but the finished result of the dark product is too rough. I can sent you a sample if you give me an address.

Posted 2011-02-20T15:26:22+0000  by 762222

by the way, I did use the most expensive synthetic brush I could find and I did brush with the grain.

Posted 2011-02-20T15:28:01+0000  by 762222

We have cream colored, painted wood cabinets and would like to repaint with a different color. This seems like a wonderful product. Has anyone had success using this product on previously painted cabinets? Any info you can provide would be great!

Posted 2011-03-01T03:25:51+0000  by cmwheelahan

Hello cmwheelahan, welcome to the Home Depot Community!

Yes, previously painted cabinets can be easily transformed.  The secret is in the cleaner/deglosser.

This first step allows the base coat strong adhesion to the old paint surface, and even allows the base coat to cover laminates, a much tougher task.

Rust-oleum has set up a website that’s chock full of information on this new product:

There’s also a 16 minute video detailing the transformation process step by step:

Finally, they publish the instruction pamphlet (in pdf format) which you can view on-line available here:

I hope this helps,

Posted 2011-03-01T15:27:50+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Thanks Newf! That's a great help. I think we will give it a try.

Posted 2011-03-03T02:30:05+0000  by cmwheelahan
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question