Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformations

Hello,

At The Home Depot we just started selling a cabinet refinishing kit by Rust-Oleum. This is a very exciting new product! You can read more about it at the following link, but we sell it in our stores. http://bit.ly/fFqdUH

Enjoy! 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-01-05T14:07:02+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL Christine_HD_ATL

One of the benefits of the Transformation product is that it is  quick drying and water based . In normal drying conditions, the doors can be flipped in only  an hour and the reverse side worked on. It should be supported slight off the surface so that the edges can easily be attended to. It is a good idea to pad the supporting surface with a piece of soft cloth so as to not mar the still fresh surface of the base coat. I like to do all the rear surfaces first, let them dry and them do the front surfaces. Should a minor mar occur, it is on the less visible backside.

The plastic supporting triangles have rather sharp points on the top and risk marring still fresh bond coat. The points concentrate the weight on a small area. A piece of board with soft cloth over the top is far less likely to mar the fresh bond coat on the back of the doors.

Posted 2014-01-13T17:41:06+0000  by ordjen

Welcome to our community Lindsp! 

Thank you for your question! Hyde Painter's Pyramids do exactly what you want without making holes in your cabinets. Many customers of mine have used these and are happy with the results. :)

Let us know if you have any more questions! 

- Christine 

Posted 2014-01-13T12:45:33+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL
I was looking for suggestions that I could prop the cabinets up with other than the piece of wood and dry wall screws
Posted 2014-01-10T02:05:17+0000  by lindsp

Welcome to our community Mvptp3!

According to the Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformation website, "If painting over raw wood, it is recommended to use a stain blocking primer such as Zinsser® Bulls Eye® 1-­2-­3 Primer to establish a smooth, hard surface area to work with." Since you are down to raw wood, this would be the best way to prep your wood. :) 

If you have any more questions, please let us know! 

Christine :) 

Posted 2013-12-18T13:49:48+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL
I started sanding my cabinets in the hopes of restaining them. I then found out about their product and how good it works from my brother in law. My wife and I bought the product. I now wonder how I should proceed. Should I use the product on the bare wood and finish sanding the rest of the doors or stop sanding and use the deglossier? Can this be used on sanded cabinet? My cabinets are solid oak and we are using espresso not the cabinets and quilters white on the island. Don't mind sanding the remaining doors if need be.
Posted 2013-12-14T03:38:48+0000  by Mvptp3

Hi,

I've only done two steps and probably won't do the rest unless really necessary, but I'd like to see how I can get more "Bond Coat" in the color of Cabernet, as now I want to complete the whole house in that color! Has anyone matched the color to the Behr? And if so do you know what the color code is? Or is there some way of getting the color for Home Depot to make me some flat base colors?

BTW Before and After Pictures of my home with only the Bond Color..

Took a total of two days to do the kitchen and three bathrooms..

Thanks,

Alice

1385302_10151737754777263_1250030468_n.jpg

1380418_10151737786817263_756401016_n.jpg44659_10151737786712263_301467451_n.jpg

Posted 2013-10-28T17:35:23+0000  by msalice1

It's my understanding that you could use the "Pure white" Rustoleum kit, and use a roller to apply it(brushing is what leaves the marks that the glaze goes into and creates the distressed pattern).  When reading through the product info, it states to use a brush...unless you do NOT want glaze. Then you can use a roller and it will be a solid white finish. 

Posted 2013-10-24T04:33:38+0000  by JeaneneM

Winnowill,

Wow! You certainly are determined! You don't need to remove the old finish, just dull it somewhat.

Posted 2013-10-17T06:08:14+0000  by ordjen

So, how much deglossing is enough deglossing? I started with a small, two-door, two-drawer with a faux drawer builder-issue bathroom cabinet just to make sure I liked the color I got. And, I am not kidding when I say this, I spent about eight hours deglossing. I used WAY more green scrubby pads than came with the kit, and about half of the deglosser - and, considering one of the sides was paper-covered laminate that I used oil-based primer on, that seems like an awful lot for a tiny bathroom cabinet. Basically, I removed all of the finish except what I couldn't get to in the grain. Do I need to go quite so far with that step? I want to spruce up my kitchen cabinets with this product, but, frankly, the deglossing is a totally daunting task if this is what required to do it properly, and I might just wait until I can afford new ones. Basically, what I want to know is - when am I done deglossing? How much is overkill?

Thanks!

Posted 2013-10-17T05:54:41+0000  by Winnowill

Thanks, ordjen.

We were hoping this kit would reduce the amount of work involved but I guess if you want it done right, you gotta put the work in. We've already "deglossed" 75% of the cabinet doors and I will definitely do another once over with the sandpaper.  

Posted 2013-10-08T15:06:10+0000  by bhmnrhpsdy24601
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+