Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformations

Do you have old cabinet that are in serious need of a face lift?  The Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformations kit is perfect for updating your cabinets without getting all new cabinets.  With this kit there is no stripping, sanding or priming. It can be applied to wood, laminate and melamine surfaces. It also can be tinted a wide variety of colors. So no matter what color palette you have, there is sure to be a color that will fit right in! Does this sound like a project for you? Keep reading to see how to apply it! 

Step 1: Apply Deglosser 

Scrub each door, drawer front and cabinet from with the Deglosser and Scrub Pad (both included) to thoroughly clean and degloss the surface. 

Step 2: Apply Bond Coat 

Brush on the Bond Coat in even strokes. Finish each door, drawer front and cabinet frame with two coats. Allow to dry 2-3 hours  before moving on to the next step. 

Step 3: Apply Decorative Glaze (Optional)

Create the customer look you want. Brush on the Decorative Glaze and wipe it off with a Decorative Glazing Cloth. Allow to dry 8 hours  before moving on to the next step. 

Step 4: Apply Protective Top Coat 

Brush on the Protective Top Coat for a long-lasting, durable finish. 

They will be full use ready 24 hours after Protective Top Coat in applied. Wait 7-10 days before cleaning with household chemicals.   

This kit covers 100 square feet which is approximately 40 linear feet of cabinets.

Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformations is available online and in our stores! 

If you have any questions about how to use this product, please let us know! 

Christine 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-01-05T14:07:02+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL Christine_HD_ATL

Has anyone used this product on honey colored oak cabinetry? I am wondering how much of the grain it will cover and if I will need to use a wood grain filler or other primer to get a nicer smooth finish.  I am trying to achieve a cream color cabinet with light chocolate glaze. I don't want a color that is too yellow or too gray - any suggestions for which color to try (maybe linen or quilter's white)?  Thanks for your advice!

Posted 2011-03-03T21:51:44+0000  by DStepler

I am using the dark version (espresso) of this kit and I would like the wood grain to show though, the base coat is too dark for the grain to show though, so I was wondering is there a way to use the glaze to achieve this?

Posted 2011-03-04T00:02:23+0000  by slerma

Welcome to our community DStepler,

This is Christine and I’m a paint associate at The Home Depot here in Atlanta. I’ve had a lot of customers ask me about the Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformations kit lately. Sounds like the urge for cabinet refinishing is in the air! :smileywink:

You shouldn’t prime the cabinets before you use this product. Why? Using a primer will cover the wood grain because primer is solid. The included deglosser in the kit will remove the old finish and prep the surface to be stained.

Now let’s talk about color! Since you are contemplating a light color, you don’t need to worry about the grain being covered, especially because you are staining oak.

Between the two colors that you mentioned I like ‘Quilter's White’. I especially like it with the glaze. One that you did not mention that I think would also be a good choice is ‘River Birch’. Here is the chart from the Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformations website. I have outlined in red the two colors that you mentioned and the one that I mentioned as well.

cabinetrefinishingcolors.JPG

I hope that this helps you out.  Let us know how this project turns out for you. We love to see pictures :smileyvery-happy:

Feel free to ask more questions as they come up about this project and future projects,

Christine

Posted 2011-03-05T13:45:30+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Welcome Slerma!

My name is Christine and I’m a paint associate at The Home Depot in Atlanta.

The glaze is definitely going to be your friend in making it look like there is wood grain showing through. After you apply the glaze, run the decorative glazing cloth over the surface. If you apply a lot of pressure when removing the glaze, the wood grain will look less distinct. If you use light pressure it will leave more glaze, therefore making the wood grain more distinct.

Here is a picture of what I’m talking about:

glazerange.JPG

I hope this helped you out with your project!

Let us know if we can help with anything else,

Christine :smileyhappy:

Posted 2011-03-05T15:06:55+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

I am using this product to paint my previously painted kitchen cabinets.  When I use the deglosser do i need to continue scrubbing until all the old paint is removed?  Thank you.

Mary

Posted 2011-03-07T06:22:35+0000  by mbanford

Hello Mbanford,

PatInPaint here to help you, and welcome to the Community!

Your liquid deglosser is a surface prep product designed only to "break the gloss."

When using this product buff only until the shiny surface is dulled, wipe off the excess with a terry towel, allow to dry, and then apply your basecoat.

The "deglosser" lives up to its name and removes the existing sheen to allow the next coat to establish a strong bond to the cabinet. Sanding down to the wood is not required when you use a deglosser.

Hope this helps!

Posted 2011-03-08T14:34:42+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

hi.  we are very interested in using the Transformations to redo out cabinets.  our cabinets have a lot of grain to them, not sure of wood type.  our end goal is to paint them black and have little to no grain appear when completed.  if i read all of these posts correctly, should we prime them first before using the kit?  or would we need a wood grain filler like mentioned on the site?  thanks for your help!

Posted 2011-03-11T19:10:35+0000  by bsteinetz

Hey bsteinetz, welcome to the Home Depot Community!

If your goal is no grain, then you can ensure that by using a wood grain filler.

Home Depot does not offer these, but they are available.

Here's a couple of links:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004493/8465/WaterBased-Grain-Filler-Mahogany-1-Quart.aspx

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17353

It may be that simply using a primer will fill in the grain.  It just depends upon how pronounced the grain currently is in texture rather than in color.  The more texture, the less likely primer will do the job completely.

The Rust-Oleum site mentions the filler because it will work no matter what the grain is like.

I hope this helps,

Newf

Posted 2011-03-11T20:11:22+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

thanks Newf.  so if we go either route, filler or primer, would we still need to do the deglossing step then?

Posted 2011-03-11T21:26:15+0000  by bsteinetz

I don't think so, but you will need to sand down the wood grain filler to a very smooth finish.

Primer needs no de-glossing.  It's purpose is to seal and be a very sticky receptor to the finish coat.

Sanding the filler will by definition de-gloss it.

I hope this helps,

Newf

Posted 2011-03-11T21:31:37+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+