Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformations: Protective Top Coat problem.

Hello, I am hoping someone can help as I am very frustrated and fedup with the help I have received so far from Hope Depot in store. A couple weeks ago I purchased the Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformations kit in Kona after the salesman recommended we go that route instead of just painting our cabinets. Everything was good until we came to applying the "Protective Top Coat". Since applying the last step we are left with a waxy and streak covered cabinet doors. We were careful not to paint over the same area twice with the top coat but that didn't matter, we even had streaks on our test cabinet that was used with only single brush strokes separated from each other, some streaked, some didn't. Is there anything we can do to try and salvage our cabinets? I am so unbelievably upset at Home Depot for even recommending this to us as if we had just went with the simple paint we wanted we would have been done already and not have this headache.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-07-09T20:59:49+0000  by Fizgig1973 Fizgig1973

So 2 days go by, numerous replies from the HD staff to other threads while ignoring this one. Fine with me, I will go back to using Lowe's for my needs. I have contacted Rust-Oleum about the problem and was just told to sand and start over. Well considering I bought this crappy kit because the sales person told me "no sanding needed" I am pretty **bleep** pissed. How do I go about getting a refund for this piece of crap since I will now have to hire someone to fix my damaged cabinets.
Posted 2013-07-11T20:38:45+0000  by Fizgig1973

Apologies for the delay in our response, Fizgig1973.

We can definitely help resolve this for you.

Please email me to advise if you still have your reciept for the kit & I will speak with the Kona store management team to explain the problems with the product and get this taken care of.

Thanks for posting!

- Nicki (TeamSocial@homedepot.com)

Posted 2013-07-16T12:54:16+0000  by THDCustomerCare

I just had the same exact issue. Cabinets were coming along good, and now my cabinets are ruined by this horrible top coat. Following the instructions exactly does nothing, as it will leave terrible and clearly visible streaks. I am at a loss what to do, as we have dedicated a lot more time than I thought it was going to take to make sure it was done right the first time; now it looks like we need to start over. Very dissapointed with this product and something needs to be done; either Rustoleum owning up and developing a decent top coat or coming up with different application instructions, as the ones provided clearly do not work. 

Posted 2013-08-08T03:15:36+0000  by smbartl5

We apologize for the problems with the product and have been looking into the concerns with the manufacturer and our business partners, but we can definitely help resolve this for you.

First off, I do have a link to a post from Christine, one of our product experts, with advice on how to correct top coat issues: http://community.homedepot.com/t5/Paint/cabinet-transformation-espresso-color-streaky-after-top-coat/td-p/32555.

Also, if you can email us your contact info, what location you purchased it from, what materials you used to apply the top coat, & if you still have your receipt, we can also ask if the store team can assist with these materials for the product repair.

We would be happy to help upon receiving these details.

Thanks for reaching out!

- Nicki (TeamSocial@homedepot.com)

Posted 2013-08-08T16:31:07+0000  by THDCustomerCare

here it is 2016 & still complaints about this product. I do not understand how you can still sale this product. I am an experienced painter. The deglosser & basepcoat are fine. The topcoat is terrible. I watched the videos & followed directions. The topcoat leaves horrible streaks or watermark like streaks. Lo & behold I google about problems with this & find NUMEROUS people having same problem for years. I wanted to paint the cabinets like I normally do   but, my daughter wanted me to use this WONDERFUL product that she learned about on u-tube. Now my questions: 1) any suggestions on how to fix this horrible product. 2) who do I talk to to complain about this horrible product. 3) How does my daughter get her money back by buying this horrible product? 4) How can you continue to sale & promote this horrible product that your company has known about for years ( there is numerous mentioning in your OWN forums as far back as 2011) ? 5) do you have the guts to  not remove this post & actually answer it.

Posted 2016-05-23T03:15:50+0000  by fletchshouse
Hello, 

I had the same thing happen to me. We painted the cabinets and they looked great till we applied the top coat. it looks horrible. I spent so much time being careful with every step of the process and now my cabinets don't look good at all :( I had gone to home depot to buy regular paint, was recommended by home depot employee to get the rustoleum cabinet transformations and this happened. is there a way to fix this? 
Posted 2017-05-15T22:04:53+0000  by SP523

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+