Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Rust-oleum Transformations Wood Refinishing Kit, Step 2 Color Enhancer in Pickled Oak

I picked up a Transformations kit yesterday hoping to use it on baseboards. We just got done stripping and staining the kitchen cabinets and are waiting to do the floor. With an open floor plan I just wanted to clean up what was there until I have time to change it out. I went to Home Depot hoping to pick up a product called Faux EZ to do the baseboards, no luck, but the guy said this product would work. We matched the color, watched and double watched the DVD, read and retread directions, and began. I painted on the Color Enhancer, waited, rubbed and wiped, no change. What? Tried another application, still no results. I read the booklet again. I followed the prescribed directions exactly but don't know what I'm doing wrong.

All the websites I have found mention a bonding coat and/or glaze, neither of which this kit contains. I sure hope I didn't waste all this money. I could've bought baseboards for the whole floor for the same price. Any ideas?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-07-24T04:14:52+0000  by sls sls

Welcome to our community Sls!

I'm sorry you are having trouble with this kit. :smileysad: What exactly are you trying to achieve with this kit? Are you trying to change the color completely or just trying to enhance the color? The kit you purchased is just meant to refresh the color, not change it. Since this is the case, you will not see much of a color difference. It is also worth mentioning that this kit will only work on real wood.

Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformations kit is the kit that will allow you to change the current color. That is the kit that comes with the bond coat and the glaze.

You mentioned originally wanting to use Faux EZ. I wanted to mention that we do sell Faux EZ through homedepot.com. Here is the link if this is something that you are still considering.

If you have any more questions, please let us know!

Christine :smileyhappy:

Posted 2013-07-24T12:31:22+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

I would also like to add, that you are still within the store's return policy if you would like to return it.  Though you have used it, it did not meet your expectations and or desired results.

Please don't feel like you are stuck with something that didn't work for your needs.

Have a wonderful day.

Posted 2013-07-24T15:28:35+0000  by 19katherynb
Christine & 19katherynb,
Thank you for the information. Yeah, I think I was frustrated when I wrote that inquiry last night. As I look on the boards in the light of day after my morning coffee set in (West Coast) there is a great improvement. I had to remember that an enhancement isn't going to be a panacea for years of children's feet kicking and damaging sharp edges. I'm gonna put the top coats on and call it good.
I'm NOT returning this because after stripping, sanding, and staining the kitchen cabinets it's not going to happen in the master bathroom...or the kids' bathroom. I'll use the rest of this product.
But in my master bath I must give my husband a break and finally get rid of the pink counter top. I've gotten away with calling it mauve for years but it's pink. I'll keep the base that same pickled oak using the enhancer, but how well does the counter top transformation kit work? I understand it's also rather expensive. -sls
Posted 2013-07-24T17:19:10+0000  by sls

Hello Sls!

I'm glad that things are going to work out for you! :smileyhappy:

The Rust-Oleum Countertop Transformations kit is a great kit and it does what is promises, it gives a stone type finish on a countertop. However, if you are just doing a bathroom countertop you can use the Rust-Oleum Countertop coating. It can be tinted to 1 of 16 colors and it is much less expensive. It will definitely get rid of that mauve countertop. :smileywink:

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Christine :smileyhappy:

Posted 2013-07-24T18:30:28+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+