Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Rustoleum Cabinet Transformation

Hello. Im about ready to apply my bond coat but Im a little nervous seeing as some people had issues with peeling. I scrubbed the cabinets with soap and water and then deglossed until my hands were numb. When wiping off the deglosser, the rags were getting dirty. Is this normal? If i decided to clean them again with tsp or simple green would i have to degloss again? Or maybe a light sanding? Or did I do enough and Im just being paranoid.
Thanks in advance
Anthony
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-12-28T12:55:33+0000  by aa7483 aa7483

Welcome to our community Anthony! 

My name is Christine and I work in the paint department at The Home Depot. 

Are the cabinets you are redoing real wood that were previously stained? If this is the case, the deglosser has unearthed dirt and grease, which is what is coming off on your rag when you wipe it down. You will want to make sure that the surface is completely clear of dirt and grease before proceeding. Using TSP would be the most ideal product to use in this case. You will not have to use the deglosser again after you use the TSP because it also serves as a deglosser. Before proceeding to the next step, make sure you wipe off all of the TSP and that the cabinets are completely dry. 

Big projects like this can seem very daunting, and can be overwhelming. I understand your nervousness about such an undertaking.

If we on the community can help calm your nerves please don't hesitate to reach out to us. 

- Christine :smileyhappy:

Posted 2012-12-28T15:35:46+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL
The doors seem like solid wood but the framea are possibly a veneer. So some tsp should do it?
Posted 2012-12-28T16:11:26+0000  by aa7483

That should do it! :smileywink:

Christine 

Posted 2012-12-28T16:31:57+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL
Well, cleaned with soap and water, deglossed, cleaned with tsp, and another light deglossing for good measure. They better be ready
Posted 2012-12-28T22:12:59+0000  by aa7483

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+