Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Rustoleum Cabinet Transformation

I used this product to redo my kitchen cabinets and wanted to also do my bathroom cabinets, but a different color. Are there any paints that I can use instead of having to buy a new kit?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-03-22T13:16:33+0000  by lindsp lindsp

Most cabinets can be painted, it's just a matter of proper prep.  Obviously you want them to be clean although things like cooking oil is more of a problem in the kitchen and a light sanding to scuff the surface.  Then it's just a good quality primer and the general recommendation is to use a oil based paint as the top coat because it dries with a harder surface than latex wall paints. 
Posted 2015-03-22T15:35:17+0000  by Adam444

If you are not using the glazing system of the Transformation product, I would suggest that you simply use one of the new acrylic  or water based alkyd products, such as Behr's WB Alkyd. The Alkyd has great adhesion directly to sound cabinet surfaces without the need for a dedicated primer. It does need a primer if going over bare wood. Unfortunately, the alkyd product is not available at all Home Depot stores, although it is available online.

The Transformation system is using an acrylic base coat which has great adhesion to older varnished cabinets. It is then clear coated to impart the shine.  However, if a plain painted surface is desired, a product such as Behr's Ultra can also be applied directly to sound varnished surfaces wihtout a dedicated primer. Of course, as Adam444 states, it is imperative that the surface be clean, especially of any greasy deposits, and a scuff sanding with 220 grit sandpaper is recommended.
Posted 2015-03-23T21:39:58+0000  by ordjen
Absolutely lindsp!

Many of our members have asked for alternatives to the kit.

In response, I wrote Cabinet Refinishing Doesn't Have To Be That Difficult.

This thread contains twenty dialogue points discussing "How To" without the kit.

In addition, you might want to look at Faux Finish Trim and Cabinets.

This thread details "How To" make your own faux glaze and has a video showing the technique and tools.

Follow up if you have additional questions.

The Community Forum is full of content that is instructional toward refinishing cabinets and trim.

If you like these threads, you may also like:

Faux Bois technique to create wood grain

Posted 2015-03-24T14:17:58+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+