Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Answered

Rustoleum Cabinet Transformation Streaky

Hi.  I need some assistance.   I've been researching this product for months and even did two beautiful pieces of furniture with a Furniture Transformation kit.  I finally purchased the Rustoleum Cabinet Transformation kit in Cabernet and started on my cabinets.  I am having such a hard time with them!  I've done two coats of the bond coat and it is very uneven/streaky.  I did notice that the bond coat in the Cabinet kit is much thicker (like wall paint) than the one in the Furniture kit.  What am I doing wrong?  How do I fix this? PhotoGrid_1364904453338.png

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-04-02T12:11:37+0000  by NeileeB NeileeB

That is Great NeileeB!

Application on small surfaces often encourages DIYers to use short, back and forth brush strokes.

I always encourage my customers to keep their brush saturated and use long, flowing strokes ... then leave the surface alone to dry four-to-six hours.

Glad to learn that your technique is producing improving results.

When you're done, post another photo to show us your results!

Best Answer

Posted 2013-04-04T13:40:08+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Hello NeileeB!

Cabernet is a very deep color.

Deep colors use considerably more tint to reach their saturated appearance.

Since tints also function as thinning agents, each coat takes more than six-hours to dry; before it can be recoated.

When you recoat too quickly, the second coat re-wets the first coat and streaking occurs.

I have seen examples from which entire sections of the first coat are dissolved and stripped.

This produces a darker and lighter "spotty" appearance.

You haven't described your process, so my conclusion is hard to verify.

Write back and provide a few more details about each step in your application.

HOW TO:

Buff sand your surfaces with 220-grit sandpaper until the color appears more uniform.

Wipe off the sanding dust with a dry terry towel.

Apply new bond coat, allowing six-to-eight hours between coats.

FINALLY:

Other members of The Community who have used this product may also have ideas to share.

Posted 2013-04-02T18:02:54+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
I waited about 24 hours between coats. I did a third coat last night and it looks much better! I'm going to have to buy a second kit to do all of the cabinets with 3 coats. I didn't expect this since I'm going from light cabinets to dark.
Posted 2013-04-03T16:24:17+0000  by NeileeB

All done.  Turned out great.  Couldn't work with the top coat that came with the kit, so I used a water based poly. DSC_0606.JPG

Posted 2013-05-22T01:32:47+0000  by NeileeB

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+