Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations

I bought the Transformations in Linen for 1990 honey oak cabinets and have finished Step 1:Deglazing.  But I couldn't tell if I was getting them deglazed enough so I think I might have gone down to raw wood in some places.  Should I apply the Zinser 1-2-3 primer before proceeding to bond coat?  Would there be any drawback to doing so?  If not, I think better safe than sorry.  Also I've read so many bad reviews about the top coat - do you have a recommendation as to a) whether it needs to be done at all, and b) is there a different product I should use for easier and better results?

Thanks,
Ross K
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-06-25T18:01:01+0000  by RossK RossK

Welcome to our community Ross, 

Thank you for your question! 

I called Rust-Oleum customer service concerning your question. The lady I spoke with said that there would not be any harm in using the Zinsser 1-2-3 primer before applying the bond coat. 

Good luck with your project! 

Let us know if you have any more questions, 

Christine 
Posted 2015-06-30T13:26:32+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL
Hey RossK!

The topcoat is water-based polyurethane.

When instructing faux finishing, I'm often asked, "Should I add a protective clear coat?"

Most often, I discourage adding a clear coat ... if their goal is to "age" the piece.

Clear coats typically add sheen and shiny pieces often appear new as opposed to aged.

So, I would encourage you to consider your goal and then decide whether to add the clear coat.

FINALLY:
You might choose Varathane Matte Polyurethane if you want a protective coating that does not add sheen.

Posted 2015-06-30T15:00:29+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+