Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations on " Ready to Finish" Oak Cabinets

Hi,

I had honey oak cabinets in my kitchen which I'm in the process of changing to Espresso using Rustoleum Cabinet Transormations. So far, everythings good :smileyhappy:...I'm in the last leg of the process...Applying the Top Coat to the cabinet doors and getting them to dry ....

Now  I want to add a ready to finish oak pantry cabinet to the side of my existing kitchen cabinets and turn it into espresso as well. Can I use restoleum on ready to finish oak cabinets ?? Do I start with the bond coat ? This is how its described as on the site.

Box ConstructionParticle board
Finish TypeOak

Ready to Finish oak doors feature solid oak frames and square veneer recessed center panel

Any advise is appreciated. 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-04-12T17:00:48+0000  by Browneyez Browneyez

Hello BrownEyez!

Although they are sold as "Ready to Finish" cabinets, I would be certain to sand the entire surface with 220-grit sandpaper to ensure the surface is smooth. Use your hand to "feel" for imperfections and make certain the entire cabinet is smooth before proceeding with Cabinet Transformations.

The answer to your question about using CT on these cabinets is Yes!

According to Rust-Oleum, "This easy to use product conceals wear marks, scratches, water stains and works with all types of wood."

The bond coat is essentially a primer designed to adhere to properly prepared wood. It will seal the wood and act as a solid base for the layers that follow. Keep in mind that because the wood is unfinished, the first coat may absorb completely. If this happens, I would recommend re-sanding the entire surface before applying a second layer of the bond coat.

Once you've achieved a smooth bond coat, proceed with the process as instructed on the DVD in the package with your product.

Posted 2012-05-15T14:57:06+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+