Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Rustoleum Paint peeling

I purchased an old wood dresser to use in my toddlers room.  He wanted to paint it blue, so we scooted off to HD to pick up some paint.  Normally I would hand-paint such things, but the urge for speed and convenience won out this time.  I purchased a couple cans of Painters Touch Primer, Painters Touch Paint, and a can of the Rustoleum High-Gloss.

After preparing the surface of the dresser, I applied a coat of primer.  The primer dired for approximately 1 and a half days.  At which time I began painting.  The paint went on nice an smooth as expected and cured for 3 and a half days  before I had the chance to apply the gloss.  

Almost the instant the gloss coat hit the dresser the paint bgan to bubble and wrinkle, particularly at the edges, but even the flat surface suffered the same fate.  On the spots where the wrinkleing and bubbling was the worst, the paint and primer literally came right off.  You could see clear through to the wood of the dresser as if it was never there.  On other spots it was tacky, and did not come off completely.  This paint has cured for over 3 days, and these are the results??

P1030424.JPG

P1030420.JPG

I know that I will never be using these products again.  I am now forced to sand down all of the spots, of which there are many.  So many, I should probably just take a belt sander to the dresser and strip it...again.  I need to buy MORE primer and MORE paint and start all over again.  Needless to say, I am extremely disappointed in this product.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-10-12T22:19:46+0000  by ButteredToast ButteredToast

Welcome to the Community Buttered Toast so sorry to hear this happen.what was the surface of your project was it wood,laminate, etc. What part of the region are you in?

Posted 2012-10-16T15:14:07+0000  by Soheil_HD_BOS

buttered Toast,

Did you perhaps inadvertantly grab the high gloss lacquer Rust-Oleum spray? Lacquer has a very aggressive solvent and could produce the results you experienced, especially on relatively new paint. It would attack fresh oil paint.

Posted 2012-10-22T05:13:08+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+