Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Rustoleum counter refinishing

I have a corion counter and sink attached can I use this product

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-11-09T14:59:05+0000  by Toto Toto

Hi there toto,

Thanks for joining us on the community!~

Unfortunately the Countertop Transformations product is not meant to be used on Corian surfaces, it is meant for laminate countertop surfaces. I wish I could say I've run into something that would be suitable for use on Corian, but you'd really have to have something that sticks very heavy for it to not just peel off on you. Not only that, but have it be food-safe as well for your counters. Perhaps some of our other paint pros will weigh in and they may have heard of something that I had not.

Posted 2012-11-09T20:48:00+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Toto,

The Rustolleum countertopproduct was basically intended for ungrading laminate products. However, I see nothing in its literature which says it will not bond to Corian, a pure acrylic product. Perhaps they just never thought someone would want to cover a premium product like Corian.

I would direct your question directly to Rustoleum at roproductsupport@rustoleum.com or 1-888-577-8459 for a definitive answer.

Posted 2012-11-10T23:59:54+0000  by ordjen

I'm a serious DIYer and will almost always tackle a job myself before hiring someone else.  With about 35' of avocado green countertop that needed replacing, I thoroughly looked at Rustoleum Transformations as a way of updating it.  Here's what I learned.  It would take two kits to do 30' and it's more labor intensive than I thought.  You have to mask around all fixtures and hand sanding over 70 sq. ft. of countertop get old pretty quick.  Applying the adhesive base coat with a roller is pretty imprecise, especially getting it up the backsplash, on top of the backsplash and next to the wall on the sides.  Next, using a hand crank spreader is totally primitive.  Trying to keep the look even for 35' is extremely difficult, especially on vertical surfaces, like the backsplash and the front edge of the countertop. Sanding and smoothing the decorator color chips is like sanding the countertop, tedious and boring.  The protective coat is difficult to apply evenly behind the sink, up the backsplash in the joint between the countertop and the backsplash.

And once you start, you can't stop, you're committed.  The end result was better than avocado green, but look was amateurish. Worse yet it takes 7 days to fully cure.  

It looked even worse, when I was telling people at the office about it and learned that a coworker had her Corian countertops, (yes Corian), professionally refinished.  The refinisher, thoroughly cleaned the surface, repaired a couple of knife marks and a burn, used a bonding agent, (repair material and a bonding agent are not included in the kit), used an HVLP sprayer to apply a tinted base and a stone look finish and the final satin clear coat.  It cured in two days and looks much better than mine.  The professional process looks much more even, is available in many more colors and you have your choice of satin, semi-gloss or glossy.  

It cost more than DIY, but looks much better and I'd pay the difference.  This is a Home Depot website so I won't mention the company, but they are national and you'll find them if you Google Countertop Refinishing.

BTW, I love Home Depot and I'm in one at least every week for something, but some jobs are just not for DIYers.

Posted 2012-11-19T14:50:31+0000  by diyer47

Thanks a lots you made up my mind .NO DO

Posted 2013-11-08T01:06:46+0000  by bigmac83

There are some projects that are generally better left to the pros, countertop resurfacing and bathtujp surfacing are a  couple of them. They involve knowledge of materials, the proper equipment and experience. The same qualities one should expect form any trademan offering their services.

Certainly, a really qifted do-it-yourselfer can do many of these household projects, but they have to weigh the pros and cons. I am a life long trademan, who in the past would not have hesitated to lay a new tile floor etc., but as I grow older and my knees are failing me, I find myself more and more opting to have the pro do it. Even during my younger days, I had to ask myself, would I not better let the electrician do what he does best and I do what I do best? Wouldn't we be both better off?

Posted 2013-11-08T20:25:22+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+