Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

SHOWER PAN FOR TILE ?

HI !

I HAVE BEEN IN CONSTRUCTION ALL MY LIFE . JACK OF ALL MASTER OF NONE . I WOULD LIKE TO ASK A QUESTION ABOUT THE SHOWER PAN LINER .  COULD YOU USE ; ARE NOT USE THE RUBBER MEMBRANE FOR ROOFING TO LINE THE PAN  ? THE KIND YOU TORCH ON ? FOR THE FELT LAYER ,AS WELL AS THE BED LINER ? IF NOT ; COULD SOMEONE EXPLAIN WHY ? 

THANK YOU !

LEFT88HAND

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-03-02T03:35:04+0000  by LEFT88HAND LEFT88HAND

Greetings and welcome to our community,

My name is Tom, known here as HD 116 in the community. I too, am a "Southpaw" although ambidextrous. Almost 40 years in construction and construction management with tools designed for right handers made me that way! I found your question interesting, so after some research found that it is something you could do, but have no idea why you would want to unless you are trying to keep the VOC's (Volatile Organic Compounds, or also referred to smelly stuff requiring adequate ventilation) down, or have some extra EPDM (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer which is a synthetic rubber used for built up flat roofs) roofing membrane laying around.

Finding EPDM in small quantities is difficult at best, so the use of shower base liner which is sold by the linear foot at your local store would seem to be the best choice. Further the shower pan liner is designed specifically for that use and application. But if for some reason you would like to use EPDM it's waterproofing qualities should be sufficient, so I personally see no reason why you can't. If others in the community have any concerns please post them!

There is a discussion board that deals with this very issue on the following site;

http://greenlivingqa.com/content/non-or-low-toxic-shower-pan-li

Hope that helps!

Posted 2011-03-03T16:43:10+0000  by HD116

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+