Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Safe Lawn fertilizer

Is there a lawn fertilizer (St Augustine grass) that is approved for use near wetlands?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-04-26T17:10:50+0000  by Button6head9 Button6head9

Hey Button6head9.

This is Ingar from the Home Depot in Atlanta. I will not tell you that there is a safe fertilizer for wetlands because wetlands are a very sensitive ecosystem that does best when left alone. There have been some states that have had problems with elevated levels of Phosphorus and Nitrogen in their water supply.

They recommend core aerating when fertilizing a lawn. This put the fertilizer deeper in the ground and limits the amount of run off. They also recommend using a slow release fertilizer like the Scotts Turf Builder Or Vigoro Premium Lawn Food. This will give your grass a little bit of fertilizer each time it is watered, unlike fast release fertilizers like the 10-10-10 that we sell.

They recommend that you get a soil test done for your lawn so we are not putting down nutrients that your lawn does not need. Leave a buffer zone between your lawn and the wetland. An area that will keep any run off away from the water source. One last recommendation is that once you spread your fertilizer, get the blower out and blow any fertilizer that may have got on the driveway or road back into the lawn.

I am not saying that this is safe for wetlands but it will help us make the smallest impact possible.

Thanks for your question and hit me back here with any other questions that you might have.

Posted 2013-04-28T15:34:31+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+