Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Safe gas stove installation?

I bought a Frigidaire gas stove and want to have it hooked up. The problem is the gas pipe connector protrudes about 2 inches from the wall -- so that there would be a gap between the wall and the back of the stove. If possible I'd like to have it flush up against the wall because it looks better and provides more clearance in my narrow kitchen.

The back of the stove is divided into two sections. The upper portion is covered by a metal plate backing. The lower part is without a backing and open to allow the gas to be hooked up. There seems to be a significant amount of void space in the oven body and I've read that some people are able to push the stove flush against the wall so that the pipe is actually nestled *inside* the stove. However, the the gas pipe on my particular wall would be blocked by the metal plate on the upper portion of my stove.

My question is, if I remove that plate (attached by 4 screws and just slides right out) would it be safe to allow the metal pipe to nestle inside the stove? I called up the company, and they wouldn't say one way or the other. My concern is that hot places inside the stove might be too close to the pipe and cause me to go to an early grave after a massive explosion. It occurred to me that the metal backing is actually a heat shield and should not be removed.

I'm going to have the stove installed by a professional--but I thought it couldn't hurt to have a little knowledge about how other people have dealt with this problem. The gas pipe itself can't be moved or altered by the way--so that's out.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-02-11T19:38:44+0000  by Particleman Particleman

Hello Particleman,


Welcome to our community! My name is Christine, and I’m a Home Depot store associate in Atlanta.


I would not recommend removing the plate on the back of the stove. Heat shields are meant to divert heat, and removing it will allow the heat to escape from the back. You definitely don’t want that to happen. Heat and drywall are a bad combination.


Considering Kenmore didn’t give you the thumbs up to do it, it would be wise not to remove it.


Be safe,


Posted 2011-02-12T14:02:29+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Hey Particleman,


I also wanted to give my 2 cents to add on to what ChristineClaret has already said. You are correct on being apprehensive on taking out parts as that would violate any warranty and be unsafe. Most companies will give you that answer because since the heater is being altered, there is no way they can make an actual guarantee of it working safe. But in altering the stove  there lies the issue of connections and exposure of certain parts that only someone qualified to install should make. Since you spoke to the manufacturer and I am assuming you have the owners manual, you can see if it taking out the back is a feasible option, IF you are certain that the adjustment(s) will work. To try and work around it, you can create a metal heat shield by itself onto the drywall, and you can do it in a way that looks aesthetically pleasing in your kitchen. 


I did a post a week ago covering installing a heat shield on the wall as a buffer between the drywall and stove; here is the link. --> Drywall/Stove Heat Shield


I'm glad you stated earlier you are seeking the help of a professional, it sounds like it can be done, but with knowing the specific model and looking at your connections in relation to setup from the wall, its difficult to really ascertain if we can go any further from here. 


Let us know if we can be any further assitance to you.


Posted 2011-02-12T16:01:44+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Thank you both for your replies.  After examining the back of the stove and reading your responses, I've decided to keep the back on and try to figure out how to deal with this problem in a different way.  I live in a high rise condo built in the early 1960's and the walls are concrete so I may have to deal with the stove setting back from the wall for now. 



Posted 2011-02-12T20:33:19+0000  by Particleman

Hey no problem, 


Since you have concrete you have less of an issue with the heat transfering over into your walls say versus drywall with batted insulation inside. Just contact a professional and even a person licensed in HVAC/Heating supply as they may even have replacement pipes, or have additional solutions that can be safe and yet give you the room you need in the kitchen. 


Best of luck to you and again anything else, please don't hesitate to ask us.



Posted 2011-02-12T21:00:18+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question