Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Sand swirl plaster nightmare

Hi all, We just bought a house that needs a lot of tlc. Beyond the many layers of wallpaper and paneling I have found the original plaster wall texture called sand swirl. I'd like to get rid of this texture and then apply a thin knockdown texture so it doesn't look so dated. I have experience with drywall but plaster is a whole new ball game. I am thinking I need to repair all existing cracks and then do a skim coat over the entire surface. I am wondering what products would be best for this? Do I need to prep the painted surface with something to ensure a good bond? I have heard so many different ideas. I'd like to do this properly without removing any plaster as the walls are structurally sound. Thanks in advance!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-03-27T03:14:52+0000  by DrywallGirl DrywallGirl
Posted 2013-03-30T05:14:25+0000  by DrywallGirl

Hi Hello and thank you for joining.


Sorry for the delay :smileysad: - I  just came across your question.


It sounds like you're on the right track, maybe minus the skim coating over the whole thing.

If this a “standard” swirl texture ,with about 1/16 “embossment you really don’t need to skim coat over the entire surface area.


This is how I would do it:


I would get rid off all of the loose stuff in between the cracks and patch with the Durabond type of drywall mud.

Next I would wet-sand the patched areas smooth with the surrounding texture...


Then I would prime the whole thing with a good latex primer - preferably KILZ PREMIUM.


From there I'd give it at least four hours of dry time and go with the knockdown texture right over it.

For the texture mud I would recommend using this product:

 wall and ceiling texture.jpg


 This is something that we don’t carry in the stores but it can be ordered for you.



Hope this helps and please do not hesitate to post back with any additional questions you may have.



Posted 2013-04-01T19:28:37+0000  by George_HD_CHI
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question