Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

Sanding

I want to sand my deck and paint it. What grit paper do I use?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-08-29T17:46:52+0000  by marymmerazjm marymmerazjm

Also my front porch is plywood and the back porch/deck is pine, I think.

Posted 2015-08-29T17:48:25+0000  by marymmerazjm
Sanding solid wood isn't a problem and many decks are made of pressure treated pine.  Your front porch could be more of a challenge.  Plywood is made up of a number of layers of wood and the surface (or appearance) layer is pretty thin, usually less than 1/16" thick.  You will have to be very careful not to sand through that layer.  What tool(s) are you planning on using to sand your deck? 

For the solid wood deck, the first step is to ensure any nails are screws are countersunk below the surface otherwise they will just rip the sandpaper apart.  I'd probably start with something in the 30 grit range and work my way up to 80 or 100 grit depending on how what you're going to put on it.  The more transparent the finish, the finer sanding you should do.
Posted 2015-08-31T10:56:01+0000  by Adam444
Thanks for the extra detail marymmerazjm!

Plywood consists of thin layers of wood which are glued and compressed while they dry.

Like your pine deck, plywood is typically a soft wood.

Prevent shredding the surface by using the higher number sandpaper Adam recommends ... 100-grit.

You can make quick work of sanding by asking your Tool Rental Associate to rent a box sander.

Just make certain all your screw and nail heads are beneath the surface before you begin sanding.
Posted 2015-09-01T14:02:33+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+