Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Sanding and Staining

Hello! I just recently purchased this beautiful coffee table but want it to match the rest of the decor in my living room. I want it to be black. This piece of wood is already poly or some other type of protecive coating. I have attched some pictures of the piece I want to color black. I have been reading and see that I need to sand the wood before staining or painting. i'm worried that with the amount of detail that I will mess up the wood design. Does anyone have any suggestions or better ideas to achieve the end result of a black coffee table? Please and thank you!tabletop.jpgtablebottom.jpg

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-01-10T14:40:51+0000  by tchevalier21 tchevalier21

WOW Tchevalier!

What a great addition to your decor!

You can accomplish your goal in three easy steps:

1) Use 000 or 0000 steel wool to lightly buff the surface, paying particular attention to the scrolling;

2) Prime with Zinsser Cover Stain in the spray can, using three light coats about 30-minutes apart; and

3) Spray a satin, semi-gloss, or gloss black topcoat, using three light coats about 30-minutes apart ... can spray or HVLP with a compressor if you own these tools. Rust-Oleum makes oil-based products that will adhere to the primer very well.

Zinsser Cover Stain spray.jpg  Your photos are great! Please come back and show us your completed project.

Posted 2013-01-10T16:36:19+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Thank you very much for the information! I'm excited to get started! :smileyvery-happy:

Posted 2013-01-10T17:06:26+0000  by tchevalier21

If using steel wool to scuff the old finish, do pay particular attention to removing the steel wool lint that will get on the surface. If you have an air compressor with an air chuck, blow the lint off. A reversed shop vacumn can also blow away the residue.

As to the primer: if using spray cans, my preference would be either Zinsser's Clear Shellac or RustOleum's Gray Spray Primer. Whereas Cover Stain is a very good primer, it is white. Shellac would no twhiten the piece to be sprayed. The gray primer would provide a primer color halfway to your desired black. Both provide an excellent base for the finish coat.

Just a couple hints on spraying: spray the top last. When spraying, a certain amount of "dry fog" settles on the horizontal surfaces. If you spray the verticle parts first, the dry fog will be covered by the flowing paint when the top is done last.

When using spray cans, I like to heat the cans by putting them in hot water straight from the hot water tap. The higher temperature ( about 125 degrees) in the can will cause higher pressure in the can and thus a better spray pattern. Also, oil paints flow better when warm. They will just naturally lay out better when warm. And no, in  decades of doing this, I have never had a can rupture.

A hint for spraying verticle surfaces: give the piece a very light, quick first coat. Let it sit for a minute to get tacky. Now give it a full flowing coat. The tackiness of the first coat will help keep the second coat from wanting to run and sag.

Hope this will have helped.

Posted 2013-01-11T03:04:49+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+