Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Answered

Screws or Nails?

I'm going to be building wooden bar stools for my home, and I didn't know if I should use screws or nails to secure the legs to the braces.  Any suggestions?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-06-08T14:47:58+0000  by CollegeKid CollegeKid

CollegeKid,

Screws or possibly bolts, but never nails. Nails will work themselves loose, without a  way to retighten them.

There are fastening devices with a woodscrew on one end and a machine screw thread on the other. These allow the screw end to be put into a leg and the other end fastened through a frame of a chair or table where a machine bolt tightens it down. This device is used frequently on furniture. If you have a wooden dining table, you will probably find one at each leg. Furniture manufacturers like these because they allow a table to be shipped flat and unassembled, yet be put together firmly.

Best Answer

Posted 2012-06-08T23:09:40+0000  by ordjen
screws!
Posted 2012-06-08T23:29:13+0000  by DrillBabyDrill

Looks like the spammers have discovered the Home Depot a:smileymad:dvice blog. this has been a problem on the This Old House advice blog too. :(

Posted 2012-06-10T03:10:46+0000  by ordjen

Thanks ordjen,

I'm planning on starting the project within the next few weeks, I'll be sure to look for furniture screws of the sort.

Posted 2012-06-11T16:14:11+0000  by CollegeKid

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+