Sign In to join the community | Help
Lumber & Composites

Seal Natural Wood Siding

I have natural wood siding about 14 years old which has never been treated.  It was recommended to seal the butt joints and any cracks and to seal the wood.

My question is which products would be good for this to include tools needed?  I would like to keep the apprearance of a natural finish.

Thanks,

Josh

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-06-25T01:42:20+0000  by diverdude0075 diverdude0075

Hey Josh,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

The first thing I would do is to use a wood cleaner to effectively remove any dirt that has accumulating on the siding.

Use the product shown below and linked here, Behr's 1 gal All in One Wood Cleaner.

Typically, this is applied with a scrub brush but since you have higher areas that can be out of reach...you can opt for a pressure washer with a siding cleaner.

Once the siding is clean, you can then seal any cracks using a elastomeric or similar sealant that will work for exterior usage.

There are various sealers and waterproofers out there on the market today, but be sure you get one that has a many years of protection that will provide you a long-lasting finish.

One that I like has a slight hue to it, which gives you better protection vs. entirely clear finishes. It is the Behr Premium 1-gal. Natural Transparent Weatherproofing Wood Finish.

You can apply this with a roller, brush, or sprayer. Make sure you measure the surface area of the siding so you can ensure you have enough for the job.

Let us know if you have any additional questions,
Joseph
Posted 2014-04-16T13:04:22+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Hey diverdude0075!

Deck season is upon us again and you'll be pleased to learn that your can Spray, Roll, or Brush all of our deck sealers.
Posted 2015-06-11T20:26:35+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+