Sign In to join the community | Help
Kitchen

Sealing a backsplash in the kitchen

I just finished putting up the back splash in my kitchen.  It is made up of stone and glass tiles.  My question is this, do I need to seal the stone tiles before I apply the grout and then seal the grout as well?  My grout bag says stone needs to be sealed before applying grout or else it will change its color, but the salesperson never mentioned it when I went for all the products for the job.  I don't want to do an extra step if I don't need to, but I want my hard work to look great for years to come so I want to do this step if it is needed.  Any advice is appreciated!!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-07-23T20:49:35+0000  by Bryanna1028 Bryanna1028

Hi Bryanna1028,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

Especially with any new natural stones, always seal BEFORE you even adhere the tiles and BEFORE you grout.

This is very true with limestone or similar porous stone, where grout can easily stain and ruin the tile. That is why it is very important to seal the tiles even before they are installed.

To protect the money and effort you are putting into this project, don't skip this step. I've had too many customers come back online here or in the store who didn't, and the corners they cut came back to haunt them big time.

Let us know if you have any additional questions,
Joseph
Posted 2014-04-19T20:10:21+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+