Sign In to join the community | Help
Customer Care

Sealing concrete basement floor

I would like to seal my basement floor, but am not sure how to go about doing it. We would like to seal it primarily to eliminate pet odors. I had a plan in mind of first using a pressure washer to clean the floor, and then sealing it penetrating sealer, then I would like to follow up with an epoxy sealer. Does this sound like a reasonable plan? It seems like there is some sort of coating on the floor already, would that interfere with the sealing process? I would appreciate any and all help.

Thanks,
Meaghan

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-06-20T16:17:25+0000  by meaghanek meaghanek

Welcome to our community Meaghan!

There are a few ways you can go about tackling this project.

One way would be to clean the surface very well. If there is a good sealer on there, pet odors will just be on the sealer, not soaked into the concrete. Cleaning it really well with a concrete floor cleaner will be the best. After that has dried, you can put an epoxy sealer directly on top.

Another option would be to use a shellac based primer instead of cleaning the surface with a cleaner. A shellac based primer, such as Zinsser's BIN, will seal in those pet odors and allow you paint. Again, you will finish with an epoxy sealer.

If you have any more questions, please let us know!

Christine :smileyhappy:

Posted 2013-06-24T14:05:40+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

What is the best way to prepare a concrete floor for sealing?

Posted 2013-09-16T14:34:14+0000  by boilerman

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+