Sign In to join the community | Help
Kitchen

Sealing grout

I used 1"x1" glass tile for a kitchen backsplash with non-sanded grout.  While wiping down the backsplash with a wet sponge, it seems to be wiping out the grout.  Do I need to seal the grout?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-06-30T18:02:01+0000  by KathyMcC KathyMcC

Sealing is certainly a good idea in a kitchen to provide some protection to the grout from anything that can stain it.  How long has it been since you installed the tile and grouted?Some grout on a sponge is probably normal but it should be decreasing with every cleaning.
Posted 2015-07-01T00:58:43+0000  by Adam444

Hello KathyMcC,

Welcome to the community.

If you just recently grouted the tiles, then the reason some of it is coming up is due to it still not being fully cured. Sealing isn't the issue here (although it always needs to be done), but rather making sure the grout is dry first.

I would recommend you make sure that the original grout lines were installed properly with a grout float. This makes the grout go deep into the joints, allowing it to perform its best. Once this is done, you will need to wait at least 24 hours for it to cure. 

If you know the grout has dried beyond that time frame, the issue maybe that it was improperly installed. Once you've fixed the issue, then and only then, can you apply sealer after the grout has dried.

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2015-07-01T14:32:53+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Hello KathyMcC!

I produced a video which shows how to Enhance Stone w/ TileLab Sealer.

The visuals demonstrate both gloss and matte finishes as well as the timeline for re-coating.

Click the link to jump to the video.

BRITTLE GROUT:
Sealer alone will not solidify brittle grout.

You may need to remove, replace, and then seal the grout.
Posted 2015-07-09T14:48:52+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+