Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

Search our community of experts for project answers

I have a switch/outlet combo in my kitchen, it is also connected to another plug outlet.  The entire apparatus gets power, however the switch which is supposed to operate the light does not do so.  The switch and both plugs are getting power, the new light fixture gets power also, but does not come on.  Any clue as to what the problem could be?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-08-22T21:06:25+0000  by pbs48051 pbs48051

Did you test for power with a non-contact voltage tester?  It will show power being present but not necessarily a complete circuit.  I believe you are missing the neutral that should come back from the new light fixture.

On one side (we'll call it left) of the combination device you should have two brass colored screws, on the other side a brass screw that's by the switch and a silver screw that's by the receptacle (we'll call that right).  On the left side, the "hot" (probably black) coming into the box should be connected to either of the brass screws.  The black wire of the cable going to the light fixture should be connected to the brass screw on the right.  The white wire of the cable bring power in and the white wire of the cable should be "pigtailed" with the short piece of wire and connected to the silver screw on the right.

Ignore the black wires in the picture, it's just to illustrate what a pigtail looks like.  You have to use one because you generally can't put two wires under one screw.

Does that help?
Posted 2015-08-23T01:19:25+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+